• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Louisa

Wilfred Albert Bedson

Hello Just on an outside chance of finding out some snippet of information there is a website dedicated to Birmingham Trams and it has some newspaper cuttings and lots of info if you e-mail Robert the owner he may be able to point you in the right direction where you can find out more...
  2. Louisa

Crosscat Walk Coal Wharf Aston c1850

I wondered if anyone could help with this query: Has anyone ever heard of Crosscat Walk Coal wharf on Aston Road c 1850 ? I was wondering where it was located as I have searched some 1850's directories and cant seem to find it. Louisa
  3. Louisa

fair ground at new john street birmingham

Hi KC My ancestors were fairground showmen, they travelled to different places on a sort of regular circuit so I was able to find out a lot more about the families when I finally worked this route out. Some sites I found helpful particularly the Sheffield fairground site are...
  4. Louisa

fair ground at new john street birmingham

I have some showmen ancestors who were in caravans at New John Street early part of century I just wondered if there is a map to pinpoint the exact spot. Are there any other areas in Birmingham where the fairground / gypsy caravans were parked, New street area for instance. Even though they...
  5. Louisa

Fairgrounds

It was 30 September 1961 according to photographs on the Sheffield Fairground Archive site Louisa
  6. Louisa

Podcasts : Carl Chinn podcasts

Thanks for the link Vivienne, I have just registered for the podcasts and was able to watch a short interesting podcast by Carl Chinn about the Peaky Blinders. It looks as if it will be a very interesting and informative place for historical facts about West midlands especially the podcasts...
  7. Louisa

To be demolished

Hi Lyn Thanks for the heads up about the building and pubs being demolished on the Lichfield Road. I was sad to see that the King Edward was one of the pubs going. From a child aged about 8 or 10 I knew the names of many of the pubs around Aston and Gosta Green because my father used to clean...
  8. Louisa

William Thomas Eccles

Looking at the marriage record on the Latterday Saints Family Search site for William Eccles and Mary Thomas in 1767 it says that it took place at St Nicholas Church in Warwick, Warwickshire not in Birmingham which is also in Warwickshire. You would need to look in the town of Warwick for the...
  9. Louisa

Fitzwater Howard

Hi You seem to have searched extensively in Birmingham for Howard Fitzwater and come against a brick wall, he may have been living abroad for a while, so maybe writing to the RAF Service records Dept may help give you further information about him. I think there is a charge and you may have to...
  10. Louisa

Clifton Road Aston

Some of the houses in Clifton Road seem to have different layouts. I am particularly interested in the layout of 30 Clifton Road. This is my granny's house and I was in it many times as a child and in my minds eye I can see the parlour and back room quite vividly but even though I was upstairs...
  11. Louisa

love lane..aston

Mike I cant thank you enough for the detailed map work you have done on my query about the location of houses in Love Lane. There were so many factories that I couldn't see where there could have been space for houses, but you solved that for me. I see there was also a school in the middle of...
  12. Louisa

love lane..aston

Mike I very much appreciate your help with the address locations. When you have time I would be interested to pinpoint the location of 36 Love lane, 34 Love Lane court 5 and 1 Love lane court 5. Love lane seems very industrialised with quite a few factories and a church. In a newspaper...
  13. Louisa

Aston Rd

Thanks Mike, Lyn & Phil for the information and photographs about Aston Road and Love Lane. Lyn thanks for the link to the Love lane thread, I have some photographs of the canal around that area but knew little about where the actual street was. Mike & Phil it will be very useful for my...
  14. Louisa

Aston Rd

Thanks Mike, I was stuck on how I could find the address location . Its very interesting to see the industry / factories nearby on the map too. I can see the Towing path on the map too, so is Love Lane very far from Aston Road? I would be interested in the location of 36 Love lane, 34 Love...
  15. Louisa

Gosta green

I came across this interesting archaeological study while looking for information on the Gosta Green area c1850. The study by Paul Collins, of Birmingham Archaeology at the University of Birmingham covers dates between about 1731 to 1956 and an area reaching from Aston Street north...
  16. Louisa

Aston Rd

Hi Mike When you have time could you post a map to pinpoint 1 back 61 Aston Road please. Thank you Louisa
  17. Louisa

Town Labourer ?

Hi Terry There is a book explaining the town labourer on the e-books in Google the link is very long and I hope it works...
  18. Louisa

Buildings at risk

Phil & Lyn I have also signed and sent photographs of the Brandwood chapels to the Victorian Society so lets hope it helps. Louisa
  19. Louisa

Buildings at risk

Brandwood End Cemetery Chapels I had a very illuminating telephone conversation with Dawn Harding the manager of Brandwood Cemetery and found the following information: The repair of Brandwood Cemetery Grade II Chapels which are built of terracotta would cost over 3 million pounds. A Heritage...
  20. Louisa

Buildings at risk

Phil I have sent an e-mail to the Brandwood Cemetery Friends asking them for an update on the negotiations for the repair of the Cemetery chapels and given them a link to this forum discussion so hopefully we may find out more later. I think your idea of a place for quite meditation is a good...
Back