• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Morturn

Its Banjo's birthday

Happy birthday. Have a great day
  2. Morturn

Air raid shelters

I recall an elderly lady many years ago telling me she would put a house brick in the range then wrap it in a towel to heat the bed in winter.
  3. Morturn

The Railways

Funny you should say that, there is a small heritage steam railway in Leicestershire. The track side is disgusting outside the station where people still flush the train loos.
  4. Morturn

FOOD THAT WE REALLY LIKE

I do also like an oxtail stew. Cook the oxtail slowly and it melts in the mouth.
  5. Morturn

FOOD THAT WE REALLY LIKE

Another one I like is belly pork. Here is one I did the other day for dinner.
  6. Morturn

FOOD THAT WE REALLY LIKE

Its is indeed and quite popular in Scotland. I quite like it.
  7. Morturn

Borax Patent Co Ltd

I think it was used to remove the old fashioned type of hair lacquer
  8. Morturn

Infant Mortality

Looking at my family history made me think of the quality of life they had. My maternal great grandmother who had the fifteen children seemed to have a reasonable quality of life. Her husband was quite an entrepreneur who could turn his hand to most things. The was a 2x great grandparent on my...
  9. Morturn

Infant Mortality

Most certainly they did, my great grandmother had fifteen children. Three died quite young, one died in WWI and another died possibly from the effects of being gassed in WWI a few years later.
  10. Morturn

Infant Mortality

It is indeed, and I don’t think is possible or desirable to remove it completely. Certainly, low infant mortality is a good measure of substantiality
  11. Morturn

Infant Mortality

You right in my opinion, the industrial revolution did bring about a lot of long term benefits. The problem was as I see was inequality. Other countries did things a lot better as can now be seen in average life expectancy, health, and levels of education.
  12. Morturn

Infant Mortality

I agree, on the face of it the industrial towns looked unattractive, but in reality they were a far better option than working on the land. While the nineteenth century did bring about improvements in production there was still a significant famine in around 1840. Regular wages in industry did...
  13. Morturn

Infant Mortality

There is a tendency to assume that our ancestors and other cultures were not as intelligent as ourselves or could they form the emotional bonds that we have. None of this is correct of course with the hindsight of modern technology that seems to provide solutions to the not so sophisticated...
  14. Morturn

Early Woolworths shops in Birmingham

That’s triggers a few memories Viv. I recall there was the occasional shop that would show off a large easter egg in the window. I am quite sure there was one in Erdington but cannot remember where. There was the chocolate factory on Station Road that had a retail window, but am sure this was...
  15. Morturn

Its chocks2's birthday

Happy birthday, have a great day.
  16. Morturn

computer help

Yes thats working ok now.
  17. Morturn

Help SAVE this archive : Tufnol

I am wondering if the ePapers Repository run by University of Birmingham may be able to help here? They look after the Phyllis Nicklin collection too. I am sure they will be interested in Birmingham’s industrial past as would History West Midlands.
  18. Morturn

computer help

You can’t. Your best option is to upload it to an online platform like You Tube or Vimeo and then put a link to this site.
  19. Morturn

Its Annie Murray's birthday

Have a very happy birthday Annie.
  20. Morturn

Birmingham in the 1980s

A pal of mines mom had one of those mini bars in the shape of the bow of a ship with portholes etc.
Back