• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Midland Red Early Days

Re: Hugh Hamilton Gregory. Hi, I know this is a bit cheeky, but have you a photo at all of Hugh Hamilton Gregory that you would be willing to share please ? I am one of the previously mentioned Wythall researchers on early Midland Red and having spent 'EONs' on these early gents, are now...
  2. B

Comore Row 1904

I remember seeing this photo some time ago, but don't seem to be able to view. Any chance you could re-submit please ? Thank you
  3. B

Midland Red Early Days

Lloyd/Thycaline. Chaps, there is a Midland Red connection actually, going back to 1906 Rackham joined Vanguard as a 21 year old draughtsman. At that particular moment in time, the Vanguard backers were in fact, the same Birmingham chaps who had started BME/BMMO and the pre-BET "chief engineer"...
  4. B

Midland Red Early Days

Thanks, another super photo. Now, the prvious photo showed O 264, which was new in 1904 and is a Milnes Daimler vehicle. The photo above shows O 8210, which was new to the BMMO (Midland Red) company in 1912 and is of a Tilling Stevens TTA1 type. Please, everyone, keep these photos coming...
  5. B

Berry Hall and the Tippetts family

I am looking at the history of new Berry Hall in respect of the previous owners, the Upton's, of printing works fame. That said, William Upton, who reputedly shot himself dead by accident, had a substantial shreholding in the GWR and also one of the original directors of the BMMO Co (later...
  6. B

Birmingham buses

Lloyd O1301/2, I have as being re-registered O2898/9, when their bodies scrapped, or at least exchanged for charabanc bodies. So I reckon this postcard has been taken no later than very early 1907 ?
  7. B

Birmingham buses

Can't quite see what the registration is but I think it is somewhere between O264-9. Delivery of these six vehicles, Milnes-Daimler double-decks, allowed the Birmingham Motor Express Co Ltd,(the pre-curser to the Midland Red) to extend the Hagley Road service to the Bear Hotel, as evidenced by...
  8. B

Midland Red Early Days

Re: Birmingham Motor Express Co Ltd 1903-1908. Hi, me again, I've still got this problem with our elusive Mr W R Taylor. I have gone to the trouble of getting official documents printed from the archives at Kew. There is no Mr W R Taylor, even though there is a photograph depicting his name...
  9. B

Midland Red Early Days

Hi, now there's an interesting thought/discussion ! I know I'm reaserching quite a lot of Midland Red stuff, but have not been drawn doqwn that tangent yet. My own personal recollection is that of my cousin who used to be the newspaper delivery boy at Frisby on the Wreake in the 1960s. The...
  10. B

Joseph Chamberlain

This is probably a bit of a long shot, but do you know if any relative of THE Chamberlain family was related to the soft furnishings store Chamberlain, King and Jones, of Union Street ? The owners/directors included Emily Chamberlain and Joseph Butler Chamberlain. And I don't suppose Dr Upton...
  11. B

Midland Red Early Days

Now here is a conundrum. Yes, the photographic evidence on the BME photo (as in the Midland Red Volume 1 book) clearly states W R Taylor. However, physical written proof of the man who set up BMMO in 1904 was William John Taylor. Are there two distinctly separate gentlemen I wonder...
  12. B

Chamberlain King And Jones, Cabinet Makers

I understand (as of 1883) the partners of the business were Emily Chamberlain, James King and J.Alfred Jones. However, the gentleman I am interested in is a William John Taylor, who by 1904, was signing himself as a director of this company. He was living at 80 Bristol Road, Edgbaston. And...
Back