• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. bobsummers

The Ritz, Kings Heath. Inc Latest Posts Re Fire

See interesting info below, might see you there? Show to mark 50th anniversary of The Beatles at The Ritz in Kings Heath on Friday 15th from 12.30pm The Ritz and The Beatles in 1963. Right: the venue is now a Cash Converters. It was a time when Beatlemania was just dawning – and the four...
  2. bobsummers

Birmingham Boys Clubs

I tried to find a thread that I could write about my early teenage years when I went to Carnegie Boys Club in Moseley Village. I say Boys Clubs but we used to invite girls in every week to a dance night, what great times I had there, Table Tennis, Billiards & Snooker. We use to go away on...
  3. bobsummers

Birmingham Schools Athletics

Started a new hopefully interesting thread that probably involved us all over the years. (I can smell OXYGEN) I was a good 440yards runner, but at my school "Dennis Road" we had a sprint flyer named Lincoln Brown. he was real popular in the late 50's early 60's and I believe went onto run for...
  4. bobsummers

Bob Faulkner

Very sad news today of the passing away of an icon of non league Football Bob Faulkner passed away in his sleep. Bob was a very respected manager of Moore Green and lately of Solihull Borough FC of the Blue Square North Division. He has managed the clubs for nearly 30 years before and after...
  5. bobsummers

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

I have started this thread, as there is no notable history on this subject.Who was in your school team. Whom won the Villa Cup and in what year? Who played in the districted school Representative sides such as B'ham Boys, Erdington Boys, South B'ham Boys, Aston and District Boys. Whom went on to...
  6. bobsummers

Ypres Salient

4 ex Brummies including myself visited the area for a week at the beginning of September. It was a very knowledgeable and humbling experience for us all. Many Brummies died in this area in the "Trenches" which must have taken a large amount of young men out of the Birmingham area 1914-18. I new...
  7. bobsummers

Old Photographs from the British Colonies

I have some photos from both Panang & Burma. But would anybody be interested? It shows Old Colonial buildings and transport systems such as old Buses, Trams and Trains possibly all built by the Brit's including I suspect Brummies.
  8. bobsummers

Posh Coffee Bars in Brum

I have read quite a few threads, but I cannot find references to the vogue coffee bars of Brum that thrived when I was young. Places that come to mind was places such as the Kardoma Coffee bar on New street, it used to be rammed in the 60's by the dudes that flocked to town for entertainment...
  9. bobsummers

Birmingham families Party Photos after the wars

Thought I would share these family photos partying after the war around mid Fifties. My wifes family Moseley / Kings Heath area. Did'nt they look sophisticated in those days. Times where just starting to get better!!
  10. bobsummers

Hare & Hounds Kings Heath

I'm a bit taken aback that I could not find a thread of this fantastic old pub "The Hare and Hounds", on the corner of York Road next to the old Ritz dance hall. I visited it for the 1st time since the mid 60's on Friday Halloween night, and it blew me away inside. Still has old tiled walls and...
  11. bobsummers

City Centre Photographs

I am starting this photo album to record all historic and current photos of our great City, this is Warwick House, New Street. The buildings housed Marshall & Snelgrove 1900 till today. I hope this builds the best on-line photo album of our beautifully buildings.
  12. bobsummers

The Ritze Kings Heath

Who remembers the Regan's Club at Kings Heath? I used to go their in the early 60's and saw the Beatles, the Stones, and the Kinks. Has anyone got any photos? & Memories?
  13. bobsummers

The Nautical Club

We have a great Navy Services club in our City called The Nautical Club. But I can't find any history or general information, My Uncle Ken Summers was a founder member, They stated the Club with virtually no money I believe!
  14. bobsummers

Where is this No. 63

Try this one then Phil theres not much info here is there?
  15. bobsummers

Where is this Number 62

No clues yet,
  16. bobsummers

Sparkhill

Well the Balsall Heath thread has been fascinating reading, but Sparkhill was at this time after the war a great cultural centre of entertainment, The Piccadilly and Waldorf cinemas, the roller rink in Walford Road, Dave and Shirley the hair dressers on the Stratford Road, 80 a side football...
  17. bobsummers

Dennis Road Secondary Modern Boys School

Just a few photos to start it off, have you any memories, Famous pupils Alan Deakin the Villa player and Capt. and Pike the actor out of Dads Army* Please go to my new post on 243 to see all lost photos Edit. Please see post #258.
  18. bobsummers

Whisky A Go Go

The 60's in Brum were the best for live Mod bands, specially at The Whiskey a Go Go above Chetwyns on the corner of John Bright Street and Hill Street. The whiskey was unique in the fact that not only did the local bands King Bee's, Modonaires, Jugs O'Henry, Moody Blues, Denny Lane, Spencer...
Back