• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Dolphie

Frederick James DOLPHIN - Gun Engraver

I have my Frederick James Dolphin in Kellys 1880 directory as a Gun Engraver at Harpers Buildings, 16 Weaman Street, Birmingham, but am wondering if there are any mentions of him in later directorys. If it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate it if anyone who had access to later...
  2. Dolphie

Engravers

Wondering if I can pick someone's brain on here. One of my ancestors was an engraver, way back in 1851 (& onwards, all his life from the age of 13). He is listed in the 1851 census as a 'jeweller' & from then on its Master Engraver/Gun Engraver etc. I know someone in the family has a very tiny...
  3. Dolphie

Dolphin Gibert Clift

My Grandads young brother Gilbert died on the Coventry Rd, Small Heath on his way home from school 16th July 1916.......story has it that he was knocked over by a horse & cart. My question is would this sort of thing make the local newspaper & if so how could I find out more?? I have no idea if...
  4. Dolphie

St Pauls Church St Pauls Square

I've just returned from dear old Brum & while down there went to visit this church in St Pauls Square. We went over to find it was open between 12 & 2pm & when we went in there was a lovely man inside who gave us a tour around. It was fabulous inside & I took a fair few photos...hope you dont...
  5. Dolphie

The 'Two Step' Cooksey Road, Small Heath

I dont suppose there's the faintest chance out there of anyone remembering this shop on Cooksey Road?? I knew it in the early 60's. It was up 'our end' (eg nearer the Golden Hillock Rd end rather than miles down the other end...if that makes any sense at all:D). If you walked down Cooksey Road...
  6. Dolphie

Davies Samson

I'm trying to find the whereabouts of this man in the 1881 census & so far have drawn a blank. I'm searching on behalf of a friend, it was her Grandfather. Samson Davies was born in 1867, in Wednesbury/Sedgley, Staffs...his father was Charles Davies. I've found him in 1891 & 1901 on Ancestry...
Back