• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Dolphie

Little Bromwich Hospital

Does anyone know if any medical records exist of patients who were in the fever hospital around 1928? My late Mom was in a fever hospital for some time & I assume that as she was from Small Heath, she may have been taken into Little Bromwich as she spoke of the ‘ fever hospital at Yardley’...
  2. Dolphie

Somerville Rd school

Hi there, we must’ve been in the same classes. You say you remember an Angela Dolphin? That’s me! who are you? You were spot on about the member of staff that we can’t mention (I hear that passed away many many years ago). She made an awful lot of peoples lives hell....she was brutal & as...
  3. Dolphie

Saltley Secondary School

It's so wonderful to see all these images & links going up about Saltley School.....they were without doubt the happiest times of my life. I have so many fantastic memories of my time there (1968-1975) & even went back in 1979 to do my major teaching practice before leaving to come up the north...
  4. Dolphie

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

My Grandad also worked at the BSA & I do have (somewhere tucked away in a safe box!!) one of their little booklets with lots of info in, plus lists of workers & how long they served there. My Grandad Jack Chamberlain notched up an incredible service history & didn't fully retire until he was...
  5. Dolphie

Brummie sayings & language

Oh boy, I've just been re-reading this thread & almost all of the sayings & words all sound so.....well 'normal' to me....& yes, I've heard of them all & used most of the expressions myself over the years. "Tripe'ound"...oh that's a belter & I remember my Nan using this expression......oh that's...
  6. Dolphie

I love reading throught this thread.....so many of these sayings etc have brought back so many memories for me. Altho I've lived in the North East for more years than I ever lived in dear ol Brum, I still use many of the sayings & expressions I've read about on here....without thinking about...
  7. Dolphie

Rowley's Butchers, Smallheath.

Oh this picture has just brought back many memories for me as I used to live in Golden Hillock Rd (the Cov end) & I can just picture walking down onto the Cov to go the butchers with my Mom when I was little. I walked down Muntz Street every day to go to school (to go to Somerville). The...
  8. Dolphie

I received some sad news today....

So sorry to hear your very sad news, it's heartbreaking losing a loved one isnt it. Sincere condolences to you all.
  9. Dolphie

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Love these photos of Arthur Street......it's so good to see images of Small Heath.
  10. Dolphie

Groups We Have Seen Live

The only ones that spring to mind at the mo that I've seen...errr....let me see; 10cc Hall & Oates Elkie Brookes Oooooh, I saw Santana a few weeks ago & I'm going to see Status Quo this month.....yeah I know, the olduns are the best eh??
  11. Dolphie

Mike G

Another one here who has been away for a while. Hope Mike continues to make good progress.........wishing you all the very best Mike. The community on here are fabulously supportive aren't they....bostin Brummies.:love:
  12. Dolphie

Maybe our Mom's 'duck's were related Jean lol
  13. Dolphie

But I wonder where my mother got the "your mother's won a duck" from?? I suppose each family adds or changes things over time eh?? It's fascinating isn't it?
  14. Dolphie

Oooh, my Mom says that, "wallop Mrs Cox, your mother's won a duck". I thought it was just one of my Mom's daft sayings, I didnt realise other people knew it as well.
  15. Dolphie

Steve's Funeral - Our thoughts are with you Lyn

Thinking of you & your family Lyn xx
  16. Dolphie

Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries Open Weekend

Oh how I wish I could be down in dear Brum this weekend to attend but sadly I cant make it...sob. Hope you all have a great day xx
  17. Dolphie

bobhowler moths

Well, that means I'm definitely a true Brummie then cos I've always known em as 'Bobhowlers'.....my Mom & Dad still use that term today for large moths bless em.
  18. Dolphie

Key Hill Cemetery

Wendy, if you pm me your email address I'll send you an invite to view the rest on Photobox if you'd like.:)
  19. Dolphie

Key Hill Cemetery

Have emailed you Polly, hope you can view the album ok.:)
  20. Dolphie

Key Hill Cemetery

Dont want to bore everyone because I did take rather a lot of photos of this place because it was so beautiful (ermm, somewhere in the region of 50+!!) so I'll just post these few here & hope it's ok. I've put most of them onto Photobox so if anyone wants to see more just email me & I'll invite...
Back