• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

More about Woolworths

I was a "Saturday girl" at Woolworths at Aston Cross. Initially I worked on the broken biscuits stall - the ends of my fingers were yuk! Then I got promoted to "Electricals" but I had difficulty reaching the thing we had to plug bulbs into for testing! So then I was moved to Ladies Nickers...
  2. A

Old Aston Cross

Colin, did you live in a Newsagents near Aston Cross? and went to Albert Road School? I was Angela Ford and went to Albert Road for a while. Just wondered. Your verse conjured up so many memories.
  3. A

Aston Cross

I have so enjoyed reading through this. I remember Aston Cross so well - going through it on the No 8 from High St Aston, where we lived for a time, to Bordesley Green, where I went to school. Later, I worked at Tubes in Rocky Lane - dear Lord, the smell of HP Sauce mixed with the smell coming...
  4. A

Nechells Park Rd shops.

Re: nechells park road Derek, I was at Charlie Arthur too, in the late 50s, early 60s. Our swimming lessons were a nightmare for me - I really hated them. Almost drowned in the 6ft end, but thanks to an alert class-mate I was rescued. What years were you at Charlie Arthur?
  5. A

Definition of “Brummie”, “Astonian” etc

I was so pleased to read your post, mentioning the steel industry. My dad, who kept his lovely Brummie accent to the day he died, worked as a Sheet Metal Worker in Saltley all his working life (apart from fighting for his Country in WWII). It was a small family firm to start with, then taken...
  6. A

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi, I see you remember The Opposite Lock Club too. I had forgotten The Cedar - and of course The Fewtrells! They did indeed own The Cedar - certainly when I was going there in the 60s.
  7. A

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I remember The Locarno particularly, as I worked on the Handbag Stand in the Tudor Club (which was upstairs) on Fridays and Saturdays. The poor females had to wear these little elasticated strips round their wrist with the number on of the compartment their bag was in - that was before we...
Back