• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Moor End Lane School

My cousin Carol Phillips and her twin sister Pat who has passed away went to Moor End Lane in the late 40's before going to the National School in Erdington. She doesn't have any photo's but would be interested to see any from that time.Could you please post on here anythat you have? Thanks Ann.
  2. A

Dunlop

My uncle Tom Phillips worked at Fort Dunlop from after WW2 till he retired in the '70's. He was in the works fire brigade and also involved with St John's Ambulance. My other uncle Mal Roberts I think was a tyre tester there during WW2. Also my dad Will Jones was there late 40's,early 50's.He...
  3. A

Where did you live

Hi Alberta Thanks for the quick reply. I lived next door to Mr & Mrs Vaughan.I met Marjorie a few times when she was visiting.I became very good friends with Hilary. They were a really nice family,Hilary had 3 brothers.I lost touch when I moved away as you do. We went back in 2004 and I showed...
  4. A

Where did you live

I was born 1950 Milverton Road,Erdington,moved to the corner of South Road and Ilsley Road,Erdington when my mother bought the corner shop. Then to Waverly Avenue and onto Burntwood. Settled in NZ now.
  5. A

Erdington - Milverton Road

Thank you old Mohawk for the picture links,the houses are still the same as I remember them. It's one of those streets that hasn't changed,only the residents. Thanks again for bringing childhood memories back. Ann.
  6. A

Erdington - Milverton Road

I was born in Milverton Road 1950,I remember the outdoor that was run by Mrs Colclough and her daughter. I'd be very grateful if you could repost the pictures please. We moved to South Rd when my mother bought the corner shop. Ann
  7. A

Erdington

Thanks for the picture of Slade Road.Any date to it?What part of the road is it? Ann.
  8. A

Erdington

Sorry I have taken a while to reply,I remember Stockland Green very well,I worked at Sheena's Hair Salon on Slade Road for 4 years in the '60's.The model shop was up from the Plaza cinema,now a bingo hall.I know a lot about modelling as my husband's a modeller. I don't recall a model shop by...
  9. A

Featherstone Nursery School

I don't know when it became a nursery school,no clues about the name,sorry. I've found another photo with the same children and two more teachers taken at the same time. They're a bit tatty,hope this helps.School in the background. Ann
  10. A

Fentham Road School

I went Fentham Girl's mid 60's,school motto was 'Look,do and be your best'.Houses were Tudor,Stuart,Hanover and I was in Windsor. I also remember the headmistresses Miss Vaughn and Miss Slade. Here's a photo of the Rose Festival.1964? Is there a thread for the school or any appropriate...
  11. A

Erdington National School High Street Erdington

Here's the promised photo from the National School,Erdington.A class photo taken at the back of the school late 50's,early 60's. I'm the girl front row with my feet out(spot the Clark's shoes)Mr Grainger the headmaster and Miss Moore who became headmistress. I remember some first names but no...
  12. A

Featherstone Nursery School

I went to the Cottage Homes Nursery School in the early '50's which you are now at.My family lived in Milverton Road.I remember being there all day. The cleaning lady was Ivy Roberts,my aunt who lived in South Road.Having Dinner at the school,one of the dinner ladies was Dyllis Reynolds who...
  13. A

Erdington

Sorry for the confusion Terrypin,I meant to put Gardners milk BAR just up from Burtons menswear,we saw it on your great video. My mother used to take me shopping on a saturday, always stopped there and had a milkshake and toast in the 50's. I remember the High St very well.
  14. A

high st..erdington

At Six ways as you went up the high street there was a paper shop on the left,Green and Hargraves and they used to deal in special cigarettes called Black Russian and Continental.At the top of the high street the co-op used to have a group playing maybe Tuesday evening,you could go and have a...
  15. A

Thank you Suze, I remember playing skittleball at the back of the school and having bruised legs from guarding the wooden skittle.The school was dingy,had big fireplaces to keep those closest warm.No nastiness between classmates.I think Mr McAllister had a patch over one eye but still good at...
  16. A

Erdington

Would this coffee/milk have been Gardners?
  17. A

Born in Milverton Rd,I went to the National School 1955-60 and remember it well.The teachers were Mr McAllister,I think Mr Grainger was the head master,succeeded by Miss Moore.Opposite the school was a butcher and Littlewoods and across the road from the butcher was Woolworth's.Next to the...
Back