• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. W

Canning & Co & Electroplating

Astoness, yes I have seen these photos on the Forum before. It is amazing how such a small beginning became a world-wide respected company employing many Birmingham families over the years. Yet another example of how important Birmingham once was as a manufacturing and creative city...
  2. W

Hi Bob! I remember all the names except that of Alf Hickman. I left Cannings in 1963 so perhaps he started after that date. Did you join the Order Office during Arthur Evans reign? I have just realised that I was doing my National Service from November 1957 until 1959 so our work...
  3. W

Hi Bob! I do remember you as well as Arthur Knight and Harry Eacock. I worked in the D.O. along with names such as Ron Davies, Les Dickinson, Alan Jolly, Roland Shead, "Dutch" Holland, Norman Thurston and many more. Lots of memories about those times back in a very different, more...
  4. W

Onceabrummie - Did you have any dealings with the Drawing Office? Your name has a familiar ring to it. Regards. willey
  5. W

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

oldMohawk, Your posting No.509 shows G.H. Watts toyshop in the background - that was an important shop in our childhood during the war years when toys and books were in short supply. We could never pass their window without stopping to peer in and marvel at the display of scarce goods...
  6. W

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Sorry Lyn, the road on the left is Bragg Road. The road extreme right is The Broadway. Regards. willey
  7. W

National Service

Farmer Dave, The "Happy Wanderer" became a hit in this country circa 1952 when it was sung by German school children at the Welsh Eisteddfod at Llangollen. Doesn't seem too long ago now! Regards. willey
  8. W

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I remember my father taking me to see the Heinkel lll at the Hall of Memory. I was gobsmacked to be so close to a real German bomber especially as it had been shot down by our wonderful soldiers. I never forgot that visit despite being so young at the time. Regards. willey
  9. W

National Service

Speaking of prop driven aircraft, the R.A.F. gave me my first ever flight - in an Anson! They were obsolete in 1939! It had been sitting on the tarmac all day at R.A.F. Benson, in tremendous heat. When we took off the expanded airframe creaked and groaned alarmingly as it competed with...
  10. W

National Service

oldMohawk, Re the girl I left behind - we have been married for 58 years so the R.A.F. didn't do too much damage to our relationship since like yourself, I was only a hitch-hike away and so I also got home at weekends. I don't know about yourself or the others following this thread but I...
  11. W

National Service

Old Mohawk, Did you not get a get a thrill when you crossed off each day on your demob chart? I had a twisted pleasure of feeling that I was venting my distaste against the R.A.F. for being taken away from my girl and being paid a pittance as a result! Ooh I was a bitter and twisted...
  12. W

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

Vivienne14, Great picture! How nice to see interest in the school is still being generated. Lets hope it attracts more replies. Regards. willey
  13. W

8 Handsworth to Perry Barr

Wonderful! Such nostalgic memories of my early life. Thanks! willey
  14. W

Family Tree Software Programs - Seeking Advice

Hi Rob44. My comment is not a solution to your apparent problem but I think it appropriate to point out to you and any one else that not all programs will still run if your change from a 32 bit computer to a 64 bit computer as I found to my cost. Just another pitfall for the unwary...
  15. W

Street furniture

Vivienne14, The zigzag bridge definitely had traffic lights controlling the traffic as late as 1939 - I remember them. Buses were using the zigzag up until the new bridge was opened. Regards. willey
  16. W

Street furniture

Vivienne14, The Perry Barr bridge was virtually completed in 1939 but the opening was delayed by the outbreak of the Second World War. Subsequently, someone had a rethink, common sense was used and work resumed to bring about its completion. Between you and me, I can remember quite...
  17. W

Phil, I understand your reply but I am puzzled as to what could have been the problem with the "Canning" thread as I have followed it throughout and cannot recall anything that could fall foul of someone such as to warrant the thread's removal. Reading other threads, I feel that many should...
  18. W

Ladywood Coal Merchant

Dave Riley, I too am late picking this thread up. My wife's uncle was George Bradbury. He inherited the business from his father. He in turn had got into the coal delivery business from working the coal barges from Birmingham. Regards. willey
  19. W

Norman. Look at Forum Home Page under "Offices and Factories" Regards Keith
Back