• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

St philips rc boys home, edgbaston

Hello Lizy I left the Oratory school about 1961/62 and it was still operating as a senior school then, I dont think the teachers there thought that I was going to turn out academically, so the obvious solution was to go and get a job. I don't know how long St. Philips house continued as a boys...
  2. C

Hello Lizy Well the answer is that some were posh and others like myself came from difficult backgrounds, I attended the Oratory school 1957 to 1960 with other boys from St Philips, we did have some Polish and Hungarian boys as you remember, I remember Mr. Barrett quite well and Miss Robson. We...
  3. C

Hello Anne Bernadette, I was at St. Philip's House for nearly 4 years in the 1950's, my mother worked away and my grandmother was struggling to look after me, I have no father to speak of and we had been living in very deprived conditions in Nechells, from memory it cost about £3 p.w. for me to...
Back