• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Steam Train

The reason that the Kings were prohibited from most lines on the system was because of their 22tons axle weight, they were designed for high speed passenger trains on the main lines and not for pottering around on the lighter laid secondary routes. Also it would have been expensive to upgrade...
  2. A

Andy's Coaches

Me again, here's a similar slightly later Guy, these had a coventional gearbox, a bit easier to use! https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/4807398-2-northern-guy
  3. A

Andy's Coaches

I trained and took my PSV test on one of Andy's coaches' ex -BCT Guy Arabs way back in 1961 during my week-end leaves from the Army. On the test one of the things that had to be done was to stop on a steep hill, I forget exactly where, and the tester then put a match-box behind the rear wheel...
  4. A

Steam Train

Strange to see a "King" at Penzance, a sight not seen in steam days because the entire class were prohibited from crossing Saltash bridge because of their axle weight of 22tons and consequently the largest GW locomotives seen in Cornwall were "Castles". I presume the powers that be changed the...
  5. A

Birmingham to Carlisle Railtour 1964.

That explains it! Saltley men must have worked Carlisle engines back to Saltley. Gatatea did rock and roll a bit compared to a Black Five but as it was the only Jubilee I ever fired I assumed they were all like that!
  6. A

Yes pistonvalve, I know where you mean it's where the LNWR line went over the Midland line and where there was a siding for the Camp Hill bankers. Many light engine movements to Washwood Heath, Water Orton and sometimes New Street with up to four engines coupled to give light engines a path on...
  7. A

The Post Office Green and Red Fleets.

Thank you Aidan, you are obviously a man of taste!
  8. A

Didn't go on the railtour but the mention of Carlisle prompts me to mention that Saltley shed's top link was the Carlisle fitted-freight from Water Orton to Carlisle which held the distinction of being the longest single crewed rail job in the British Isles back in the days of British Railways...
  9. A

Lickey Incline

Hello Rowan, How sad that your Grandad had to be taken off engine driving because of his bravery, I hope the railway found him employment elsewhere on the system, I didn't start at Saltley until 1956 so have no knowledge of this fine man. I notice one of your surnames is Jeffries which is...
  10. A

BBC 4 Golden Age of Coach Travel

Great steam images Mike, I lived in the Torbay area for over thirty years and miss the sea now I live up in London. Here's a Yelloway coach from the sixties. https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/5201248-1-yellowways-aec-seagull
  11. A

BBC 4 Golden Age of Coach Travel

It's a bit of a myth that present day coaches are more comfortable than fifty years ago because personally they don't appear to be to me even though at 8ft 2in overall width as opposed to 7ft 6in should give more elbow room. Perhaps it's the higher speed of todays vehicles and the sudden changes...
  12. A

Lickey Incline

I worked at Saltley shed as a fireman back in the fifties and worked trains up and down both the Lickey and Camp Hill banks more times than I can remember and although the Lickey was the steeper and I think longer the Camp hill bank was a more difficult climb in my opinion especially the section...
  13. A

Steam Locos

Here's a class of engine familar to Tyseley and Snow Hill spotters. https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/5510978-4-castle-class-4-6-0
  14. A

Commercial Vehicles

Spot on Lloyd, I must pay more attention to number plates, so here's one on trade plates for you! Thanks for your kind comments though I do appreciate them, I think the way a vehicles "sits" is important and that is what I try to capture, not always with sucess mind you...
  15. A

Lister Truck

I remember them well, really handy little workhorses, here's one lurking in my painting! https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/3701460-3-taunton-cider-leyland-octopus
  16. A

Evacuation of France 1940

Everybody thought we were finished in 1940 especially our Allies but by standing our ground the British people encouraged by Churchill made it possible to beat the Nazi. As mentioned before the French soldiers evacuated had no idea what the German occupation of their country would mean so...
  17. A

buses

Here's a 56 on Saltley viaduct to take you back a bit angleyes. https://www.redbubble.com/people/artistjeffries/art/5117447-1-new-look-guy
  18. A

Last Journey by Bus

There are a couple of guys who own vintage lorries who provide their vehicles as a hearst for lorry nuts, like myself, to take their last journey. What I have put in my will is for my ashes to be fired into the firebox of a steam locomotive preferably an ex-Saltley [21A] Black Five but whether...
  19. A

Five Double Deckers for Sale, (1940s)

Loved to have seen one of these Birmingham Daimlers in Red, does anyone have a photo or any other details of the PO livery carried by them. They must have been around in my youth but I never saw one . I'd love to produce a painting of one like these examples...
  20. A

Birmingham 1946 bus street scenes

Re: Birmingham 1946 bus street scenes. What a brilliant video, all those buses! I didn't move to Brum until just before Christmas 1948 but well into the 1950s these images hadn't changed much, how I remember Greys a sort of large version of Grace Bros! For all the bus nuts among you go to this...
Back