• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

salutation/alma tavern.

Re Salutation Alma Street Aston, We lived opposite the pub and I had a part-time job as barman. happy memories of darts and domino nights played upstairs over the bar. Thanks for jogging my memory. Sid Walker.
  2. S

BIDDULPH, POUNTNEY connection?

Alberta,Many thanks for your information on Biddulphs.Every little helps. Sid.
  3. S

Sorry no connection with Pountney. Genuine enquiry for Biddulphs. William lived Brearly St. Any information on this family most appreciated. Sid.
  4. S

British India information.

Could some kind person tell me where I can do research for someone who served in India {Fort William] in the 1800s. Sid Walker 20.03.09.
  5. S

Greetings, I also am reseaching Biddulphs I would be grateful if you ever come across a William Biddulph a Milkman who lived in Brierley Strret Aston in the early 1800s.He had a son John but he was born 1810 a little to early for you. Good luck with your researches. Sid Walker 12.02.09.
  6. S

Walker lookup

Walker Aston GEC Sorry Aston. Sid Walker worked at GEC but much earlier than the 70s. Must have been some other Sid. Thanks for the query Regards Sid Walker 30.01.08.
  7. S

Parkes Family Ashted.

Parkes Ashted. Many thanks for information on Parkes in Ashted. A great help,the search goes on. Sid Walker.
  8. S

Parkes Family Ashted.

I'm looking for any reference to the Parkes Family living Ashted, Moland St and or Great Brook St In particular Frerderick Augustus Parkes 1819 -1884. Census 1881 shows the family at Great Brook Street. Any information however small would be greatly appreciated. Sid Walker.
  9. S

Walker lookup

I"m researching any reference as to the following relatives. Walker Charles lived Latham Grove B'ham 25 ? c1940. Walker Charles Arthur Valentine lived 27 Eastham Rd B'ham 14 ? c1940 Walker Herbert lived on the Queslett. Sorry I do'nt know the modern Post Codes for B'ham Any small clue greatly...
  10. S

Hospital or Old Folks home ?

Could some kind person answer a couple of questions for me? My grandfather died "Western Rd" was this Dudley Rd Hospital? I remember as a nipper an old lady vistor who was deaf and dumb who came from "Dudley Rd". Was there a Old Folks home there? Any information most welcome. Sid. 13.02.07.
  11. S

Anyone know this one?

Its been years since I've heard this one,but I suddenly said it the other day,out of the blue. "You're all dressed up like a pox doctors clerk" I got strange looks from the person I said it to. Has anyone else heared of this old saying.? Sid.
  12. S

Six Ways Church Aston

A terrific photo,brings back memories of the area. Is it still standing?
  13. S

Aston Bookies & Pubs

Just up from The Globe was a bookies.Arthur would stand at the door and take bets handed to him the money all wrapped up in the name of the horses or dogs on paper. I used to take bets to him for the neighbours and my Dad. At Christmas time he would give me few bob as a present and a new odds...
  14. S

Aston hippodrome

Thanks to one and all for your help.Sid.
  15. S

Aston hippodrome

I was thinking of the likes of Pantomimes and stars of stage screen and radio. the 40s & fiftys. Sid.
  16. S

Aston hippodrome

Can some kind old Astonite remember how much it was to get into the 'Gods' at the Aston Hipp. Thanks Sid. :elephant:
  17. S

Off licences Outdoors

My Mom and Dad thought it was Bliss. We lived opposite The Salutation with an Off-Licence a few doors away If the beer was off I would be sent to the Off-Licence with "the jug" for three halves. Sid.
  18. S

Handsworth ?

Could anyone tell me if around the 1870s Handsworth was in Staffs or Warwickshire. Sid Walker. Thank you much appreciated Sid Thank you information noted 21.03.06 Sid.
  19. S

House that Jack Built

It's true!! I worked at the Co-Op No77 Newtown Row, and they had pullies to get the money to the cashier. Sid Walker.
  20. S

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

We must have been neighbours. I was a 'nipper' in the 30's ,and remember the bomb. Also I was a barman for a while at the Sally. I lived in Alma St No 65 and left before the bulldozers gave it a facelift. I wasn't impressed with what replaced the area when I lasted visited, a great pity!! only...
Back