• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. E

Bordesley Green Girls School

https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldbggs/ just a reminder of our Facebook group. It's a private group for all ex scholars (female), only members can see postings and members etc., and we've be going for 10 years now. If you apply to join our group please answer the groups vetting questions.
  2. E

Bordesley Green Girls School

Hi Does anyone have any photos of the Bordesley Green Girls School, the old Marchmont Road/Drumond Road site, not the newer school site? This is my old school and I run a FB group for ex scholars. https://www.facebook.com/groups/oldbggs/
  3. E

Bordesley Green Girls School - 1945 onwards

Just to inform any readers on this forum who attended the old Bordesley Green Girls School on the Bordesley Green (Ideal Village). We have a closed group on social media (FB) for all the old scholars. If you were at the school (girls school only) then get in touch to join and find old friends...
  4. E

Bordesley green

Re the old Bordesley Green Girls School (BGGS), we have a FB page for BGGS and would welcome any girl who attended the school. Its a closed group so if any of the old girls would like to join they would need to give some details to gain full access. However you should be able to see who are...
  5. E

Bordesley green

Hi berniew, thanks, I had already gleaned what I could from that site.
  6. E

Bordesley green

My husband and I revisited our 'little park' in the Ideal Village last year. We both used to live locally. We were very sad and frustrated that what was a beautifully kept park from our childhood days had become vandalised and abused. The old drinking fountain monument had been all but...
  7. E

Bordesley green

Can anyone help me on this thread? I am looking for the date that Bordesley Green Girls School buildings changed over to the Junior School and the Secondary school moved to the old Bordesley Green Tech School building in Bordesley Green Road.
  8. E

Broadway bordesley green

For all those who have any photos or stories to tell of Bordesley Green, in particular the Ideal Village. There is a great guy who has a website and FB site who is looking for contributions of its history, see here: https://bghistory.org.uk/ or 'Bordesley Green History' on the FB pages. I'm...
  9. E

Old street pics..

Yardley Road, then renamed Yardley Green Road, Little Bromwich, Birmingham, Warwickshire. . . . (or that's what it says on my birth certificate of 1953) ;-) The photo is taken from the Green Lane/ Hobmoor Road corner and shows the Primitive Methodist Church in Blake Lane, which was rebuilt...
  10. E

The Sampson, Yardley Green Road

Here is the old photo I promised, it took me ages to find where I'd put it safe ;-) You'll see the Sampson Public House furthest from the camera to the right. A small photo I know but there is that old clock, it was a landmark, and hopefully will remain so. The photo is taken from the Green...
  11. E

The Sampson, Yardley Green Road

I see from the newer, more recent photo that the clock is still intact on the building. That is a VERY old clock. I lived in the terrace houses across from the Sampson on Yardley Green Road. I'll see if I can find a VERY old photo of the road (back then when it was taken, it was called Yardley...
  12. E

Bordesley Green Primary School / Bordesley Green Council School

Maypole dancing group & Rounders Team Bordesley Green J & I School
  13. E

Bordesley Green Primary School / Bordesley Green Council School

This was my first school photograph at Bordesley Green Primary, Drummond Road, Birmingham taken in 1958. Miss Moore was the class teacher. ..... and here are a few more. Enjoy.
  14. E

Sunday Afternoons

Sunday school in the morning and back in time for Two Way Family Favorites whilst we sat down to Sunday lunch, then around 3pm we'd all sit down to watch the afternoon film which would be either a war film or a comedy on the very tiny television. Then teatime was jam sandwiches, fruit and...
  15. E

Bordesley Green Doctors...

There was a doctors practice in Blake Lane at the top end, where Dr Williamson, Dr Ellis and Dr Gregory practiced. They also had a surgery in the middle of Finnemore Road opposite the park. At the bottom end of Blake Lane was the practice that had Dr Bembow and others.
  16. E

samson and lion..yardley green road

I used to live in the terraced houses almost opposite.
  17. E

Lewis's Department Store

Thanks for putting me straight ;-)
  18. E

air training cadets

See here: https://aircadets-wbw.org/org_squadrons.htm, if you want to see what your old Birmingham Sqns are up to ;-)
  19. E

air training cadets

I didn't know of 2030 Sqn back then but they still exist and are parading out of the TA centre in Sheldon.
  20. E

air training cadets

2011 sees the 70th Anniversary of the formation of the Air Training Corps. 'Towards the end of 1940, the government realised the value of the cadet force and took control of the ADCC. It reorganised and renamed it, and on the 5th February 1941 the Air Training Corps was officially...
Back