• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

the ashted cinema

thankyou for those memories, i too would pretend that i was riding trigger and would also slap my thighs, i even had a gun belt and a lone star cap gun like roy had, can you recall roys friend who used to ride a horse called ringeye? . he was always in trouble,
  2. A

the ashted cinema

highlighted in the brummagem magazine is where my early years were formed, as far back as i can remember the characters serialised were the first superman, black and white, batman and robin, black and white, buster crabbe as flash gordon, laurel and hardy, abbot and costello, charles starrett as...
  3. A

Old street pics..

i know this particular outdoor very well. in about 1950 it was run by a mrs griffin and she had a daughter called maureen who i was fond of for a time. i used to live further down francis street at number 69 which was next to a warehouse belonging to holbrookes pickles, i was known as frank...
  4. A

Lorries - Shenstone Transport, Marsh Lane, Erdington

Re: lorries yes please do put on more info on shenstone transport, my father victor smith drove for shenstone transport from at least 1939 to 1953 and reg mills was my dads manager, sometimes my dad would be upset at some of the drops that your dad used to give him to do. it would often entail...
  5. A

Re: lorries forgot to say that i remember the surnames bennett, turner and fowkes and i think the managers name was reg mills,
  6. A

does anyone have any connection with shenstone transport, their depot was at marsh lane erdington, my dad was named vic smith who drove for them during the forties up till 1953,
  7. A

shop in great francis street

i lived in francis street too
  8. A

thank you topsy turvy yes that is the exact pole i would swing round, it has just taken me back 70 years, oh how i wish i was 6 again, thank you so much
  9. A

john did you go to loxton st school or were you in the boys brigade cos your name rings a bell, my name is alexander smith but i was known as frank smith
  10. A

the gaiety cinema coleshill st

well thank you so much , i have just listened to it and it has taken me right back to my childhood, there was just one line i could not remember and having just heard it i can go to bed now with happy memories
  11. A

the gaiety cinema coleshill st

regarding this cinema who can remember the abc minors club?, their signature tune was blaze away, does anyone recall the words?, it started off " we are the boys and girls well known as minors of the abc
  12. A

Rag Market

i used to go in the rag market when i was a little boy, went with my mom and i hated it, it was the noise and the bustle that scared me, i remember the fella who stood with a line of plates balanced on his arm and he would throw them a little way up in the air and catch them again, our radio...
  13. A

i did know a barbara gregory who lived in great francis st
  14. A

Loxton Street School

thanks for that barry, am really hoping to find any ex school friends, especially class 4 a
  15. A

hi dek, thankyou so much for the fantastic photos, really brought back memories, i lived at number 69 francis street, and i went to loxton st school, i also remember the italian who made icecream in vauxhall rd corner of erskine st, in the photo of the printers the street to the left is...
  16. A

Woodcock St Baths.

i remember the public washing baths in francis street, i used them around 1945 to 1951, i lived in francis street so didnt have far to go , it was one corridoor with about 8 baths each side, and as you entered the baths there was a big waiting room where you would sit and wait to be called
  17. A

i remember the sweet shop next to the snooker hall in great francis street, the air raid helter that me ans my mom used was underneath the snooker hall, on the opposite side of the road was the junction pub, my mom and dad did bar work there, they were dolly and vic smith, i had many off...
  18. A

Loxton Street School

i wish that i could find someone on here that went to loxton st school between 1945 and 1950, i remember the headmaster mr hartshorne, mr walker, mr dash, mr maltby, mr meres, mr wright, mr martin, mr rome and mr webster, i knew the taronis who lived in willis street and albert taroni sat...
  19. A

The Boys Brigade

i was in the boys brigade , 20th company, from 1947 to 1952 held at st catherines church hall in scholfield street, the captain was mr douglas winter, mr timmins was leutenant, mr ravenhall was band master, staff sergent was donald bevan, i was solo drummer, also in the band were as i...
  20. A

Birmingham Cinemas

anyone remember the ABC minors club in the late forties, i was at the gaiety cinema in coleshill street as a monitor. my name is frank smith
Back