• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Villa Road Handsworth

Good morning, All. We used to live at No.129A Villa Road, Handsworth, a few shops away from the Villa Cross Cinema. Our shop's name was Hulse Milliners, and I have been trying to find a photo of it for some years. Looking at the shop, there was Wilkinson's Hardware, and to the right very large...
  2. N

Greenmore College

Hi, Patrick. I was looking through some of my Dad's old papers, and found a certificate from the College of Preceptors: it was an for an examination written by him, at Greenmore College Ltd. in 1935, when he was 15. The Dean was a Mr. Herbert Ward. I looked op the College of Preceptors and...
  3. N

Villa Cross shops

Would be most grateful if someone could post some photos of the shops between Wilkinson's hardware and the Villa Cross picture house. Period would be from about 1945 up to 1960. Thanks a lot Nigel
  4. N

Birmingham Cinemas

Seeing the words to the Odeon song, and mentally hearing it, really brings back memories. We used to live next to Wilkinsons in Villa road and I used to walk to the Villa Cross picture house to see Flash Gordon on Saturday mornings. I only recently found out that the picture house had burnt...
  5. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Lindyloo First of all - Happy New Year. Then, thanks again for all your trouble! Regards Nigel And to all who read this post A HAPPY NEW YEAR from Johannesburg!!!
  6. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Lindyloo I have checked the old documents and I have found the correct date of death: 9th Jan 1949. Where I got the 1934, heaven knows - sorry!! There is something else which is puzzling - everywhere that I have found reference to him, he is listed as William...
  7. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Once again, many thanks: if and whenever you find anything, it would be most appreciated. If finding older burials is easier, Horace's father, William Henry Hulse (GGfather 1860-1934) lived and died in Handsworth Wood. His old house was 36, Handsworth Wood Road. We...
  8. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Many thanks for all your help and effort. Yes, the distance is a bit of a problem!!!! Unfortunately, there are no family members left in England, on my late Father's side, but who knows - I may eventually find out who is where!! Regards Nigel
  9. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Thanks a lot, Wendy - I'll give it a go. Regards Nigel
  10. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Lindyloo Many thanks: another brick wall demolished!!! Regards Nigel
  11. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, again, Lindyloo. This is interesting: I've not been able to find details of Horace and Laura's marriage (my Grandparents). If, indeed, they were married in Ireland, it would explain why I've not found any details on FreeBMD and other sites. I assumed that they...
  12. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Wendy Thanks a lot. Sorry, I should have included some dates! Florence Hulse died 1961, Horace Hulse died 1982 and Laura Hulse (Whitwell) died 1978. Regards Nigel
  13. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Lindyloo Thanks for the reply. Florence Hulse never married and Laura's Married name was Hulse (Maiden name Whitwell). Regards Nigel
  14. N

Hulse

Re: Birmingham Cemeteries Hi, Wendy Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. Some of the people that I am looking for are: My GGFather, Henry William Hulse (may be listed as William Henry); GFather, Horace Henry Hulse: GAunt, Florence Alberta Hulse and GMother, Laura Fanny Hulse. All were living in...
  15. N

Hulse

Good morning, All. Most of my family ( Hulse ) lived in and around Walsall and Handsworth since the early 1800s. For the family history, I would like to find out where they are buried? Can someone please tell me where I can find these records? Thanks a lot Nigel
  16. N

Hulse family

Hi, Suzanne Thanks for the info. Luckily, I have all of the other details sorted out - it's just Horace and Laura's ( my Grandparents) marriage that I can't find. I made a mistake with the date- I should have said around 1920, as my father, Jack D. Hulse (not John) was born in 1921. Regards Nigel
  17. N

Hulse family

Hi, Shera Thanks a lot. Sorry, my father was born in 1921, so I should have said that the marriage was around 1920, not 1900. Regards Nigel
  18. N

Hulse family

Hello, All I have been unable to find any details of my Grandparents' marriage: Horace Henry Hulse and Laura Fanny Whitwell were married around 1900 (my father, Jack, was born in 1921). They would probably have been married in Walsall. I have tried all of the major sites, but to no avail. Can...
  19. N

Villa Road Handsworth

Hi, Yes, indeed - to the left of the picture house, there were a couple of shops,owned by my Grandfather, then a big, gated entrance to our property and then our shop, Hulse, Milliner. The next shop was Wilkinsons. I've been trying for some time to find a picture of the old shop, but so far no...
  20. N

Villa Road Handsworth

Hi, Topseyturvey This photo is great and so tantalizing!! So far, it is the photo that has come the closest to showing our old shop - just out of the picture, to the left!! Thanks, Regards, Nigel
Back