• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

When was this, Curlylad? In the 1960s when I was there, Ashton's toy shop was on the Farndon corner nearest Foxton, and first Gibbs then Mrs Henry's grocery shop on the corner nearest Clipston. Gibbs was where I tried the new fashionable drink Coca-Cola. It cost twice as much as a big bottle of...
  2. J

Brummie sayings & language

Warraboutit then? Wanna say that behind the dustbins in the playground? All the best, David
  3. J

I've heard donnies elsewhere. It's supposed to be from French speaking children holding out their hand and saying 'donnez' which means 'gimme'!
  4. J

'Born in a barn, were you?' My dad told me he'd been to hell in a dream, and it was cold because all us kids were sitting in the way of the fire.
  5. J

The Barley Mow, Ward End (or anywhere else)

But the Barley Mow IN Worcester is pronounced as in cow. I don't see it myself: I always mow the lawn as in cow as well, with my Flymow
  6. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

Just reminded me. Prams and push chairs were left outside shops, with babies inside, not taken in. The girl left to look after the babby outside Woolworth's in the picture only looks about four herself. How come the prams weren't stolen, not to mention the children?
  7. J

Birmingham Cinemas

I used to go here on Saturday afternoons in 1962(?) for my drum lessons with its resident drummer Wal Eley. It was strictly a drunk's club in the afternoon, but had a bit of second-rate entertainment in the evening. I was allowed to stay a couple of times as long as I kept out of sight in the...
  8. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

I wanted to do some wood modelling when I was about ten and went into Armstrong's without any real idea of what I wanted to make, so I asked for "some wood". Mr Armstrong spent ages helping me plan the project and cutting wood for it. Try that in Homebase!
  9. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

My Mom used to go to Jester's to buy broken biscuits from the tins - we could get lots for our money. My uncle used to say if they have run out, ask them to break somemore!
  10. J

Alum Rock Road Shops

My Dad, and his Dad before him owned Staffords Hairdressers at no 216 and my grandmother lived in the back. I remember the Shop that stands on a Bob - it really did, having had a shilling buried in its foundations. I bought records from Ludloe's, on the corner of Ludlow Road. I bought penny...
  11. J

We called either lice or nits (Can't remember which) Bill Baileys. I think it's something to do with "nothing but a fine tooth comb, Bill Bailey won't you please come home."
  12. J

I've heard this from people in other places - sometimes "It's black over Will's Mum's". I've heard it means in the distance rather than just here, being where William III's mother lived - in Orange?
  13. J

In Liverpool I wanted a ham roll and thought a "Ham Batch" was the right thing on the price list, but it just means a fancy-shaped empty roll - home-baked in Scouse probably.
  14. J

I moved from Birmingham to the Black Country all of fifteen miles and I couldn't understand a word anyone said for about three weeks. When I visit my inlaws even now I can't follow a conversation after the second pint.
  15. J

When we stayed in bed too late on a Saturday, Mom always used to call up "I'll be up there with the boiler stick!"
  16. J

sayings

Re: Where have you been? In full, that would be "being as" but it still doesn't make much sense
  17. J

Nechells

If I went out of the house with bare feet, my mother used to tell me off with "You're like the kids from Great Francis Street" who apparently sat in the gutter without shoes. Since we lived in Sheldon at the time (early 1950s), I knew nothing about Great Francis Street until I was a teenager in...
  18. J

Onion Fair

Mop fairs were so called because domestic servants were hired for the year there. There was a St Johns (Worcester) Mop and a Lichfield Mop, amonst others. The housemaids would carry mops to show what sort of job they did.
  19. J

No 8 Bus Route

With the open back buses you used to be able to get on the bus after it was started, holding on like grim death to the handrail and scooting with your foot. My brother got to the stop at Aston Cross a little before me, and I saw him dragged across the road and dropped on the other side. I'm...
  20. J

Aston Cross

Was the multistorey building (both photos) the Alpha Television Studios, home of ATV?
Back