• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

Woodgate valley

I remember going along Clapgate lane in the autumn to pick blakberries with relatives who lived in California in the late 40's then up to the Woodcock Inn for a lemonade and packet of crisps,it was countryside to us in those days. Only the one side of the road had factories on it, my uncle...
  2. P

Weoley Castle - Alwold Road

Paul Corisande Road comes just in Selly Oak, it is at Lodge Hill cemetery end of Alwold Road I went to Jervoise Road school from 1946 to 1953 and Ilmington from 1953 to Dec 1956
  3. P

Weoley Castle - Alwold Road

Mr Lawrence moved from the bottom of Weoley Avenue to the shop on the Square I lived in Corisande Road
  4. P

Weoley Castle Ruins

It says the post card was used in 1938---Alwold Road wasn't was not built up at this point. My Granny and three children moved into 424 Alwold Road (the Lodge Hill Cemetry end) in 1933 from Ladywood when my mother was 14
  5. P

Weoley Castle Ruins

I was at Jervoise Road school up above the Castle ruins in the late 40's till 1953,in those days the ruins were overgrown and no one bothered about them,I can't remember if they had a fench around them or not
  6. P

Summer Lane

Hi Billy Regan I only knew Summer Lane for visiting my grandmother some saturdays in the 40's till the early 60's so I didn't know any anyone who lived there.On the left of the shop was an entry up to some houses,I seem to remember a paper shop a little further down, on the right of the shop was...
  7. P

Summer Lane

Hi Astoness Did you mean your rellie lived in Cowper Street or Summer Lane I don't know if the chemist shop's address was Cowper Street or Summer lane, I think the doorway was on the corner, If it came in Summer Lane its number would be a 160 something, I remember it had two big coloured...
  8. P

Summer Lane

Hi Regan If it was was Grandmothers and uncles shop that you bought your cycles spares from the shop was mostly fruit and veg and a small space on the right for the cycle spares,I can't remember what was on the otherside of the road,I remember the chemist shop was on the corner of Cowper Street...
  9. P

Lickey - Beacon Hill Toposcope - Request for help

I remember the smaller structure from the late 50's early 60's, Selly Oak Girl Guides walked up through the Lickey Hills passed it to go camping in Mr C Cadbury's grounds There is a picture of it on another forum site
  10. P

KEDWARDS James

Re: James Kedwards Tom Sorry I forgot the s they were Kedwards they were granddaughters of Frank Harvey known as Marshall 1883 who married my Emma Deathridge, who had 4 children I think Harry, Alfred, Emma and Sydney, Pam
  11. P

KEDWARDS James

Re: James Kedwards Hello Tom Are you a member of Genes Reunited I was in touch with two ladies decended from Marshall Kedward 1883 who married into my family Emma Deathridge.I am sorry I can't tell you anything about your family.If you are not a member of Genes you will have to join to contact...
  12. P

Anyone remember visiting Weymouth

Mom,Dad and I went three times to Weymouth in the 50's on a coach from outside The Black Horse in Northfield , yes I remember the trains there also the Clock, the Sand sculptures and the swans. There were nice places near to visit The Wishing Well at Upwey was a favourite,Lulworth Cove,Poole...
  13. P

RAF stationed egypt WW11

Type in RAF stationed in Egypt in WW11 into your search engine and you might find info Pamela ex WRAF
  14. P

W.w1 RAF RECORDS

Type RAF records into your search engine and find info about records, different records are in different places , I think the records for WW1 are at the National Archives at Kew London Pamela ex WRAF
  15. P

The brownie guide pack of birmingham

I was in the brownies and the guides at St Mary's church Selly Oak in the late 40's early 50's, there was only the one Ranger company for all the churches we met at St Paul's Methodist church Selly Oak Captain was Miss Jones and Lieutenant Miss Annie,we were very lucky at Selly Oak as Mrs...
  16. P

Summer Lane

Topsyturvey Thanks for the info Pamela Y
  17. P

Drummonds- from the Glasgow area

Re: The Drummonds from the Glasgow area You can see their names on the FreeCen site for the 1841 census
  18. P

Harborne

Thinking back I am sure that same building used to be The School Clinic for the schools doctor and dentist, awful place, it was just up a bit from the bus depot,I was working away from home in 1964 so the clinic could have closed and the garage opened. I had my bike in 1955 and could go up and...
  19. P

Harborne

Harborne Lane and Chaple Lane Selly Oak changed to one way traffic before 1964 the traffic only came down Harborne Lane from the Bristol Road, car on the bottom right is facing the wrong way, I don't think that is Harborne Lane Selly Oak Pamela
  20. P

Dance Halls

I remember Laura Dixons about 1958/9, it was on the corner of Navigation and John Bright Streets,the entrance was in Navigation Street up some stairs, I think they had dance lessons most nights. On Friday night there was a dance to records, I went for a short while with friends but it wasn't my...
Back