• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Simon4130

Midland Red Bus Routes

From what I remember staff at the former Midland Red garages had different working conditions/rates of pay so it was in the best interests of the WMPTE (as they saw it) to eliminate these garages and they closed them one by one over a number of years. There are others more qualified on here who...
  2. Simon4130

Dishley baptised twice

My Dad was baptised three times which sounds a bit bizarre. This was in Ireland. First time was at the hospital as there were fears he wouldn't survive. Second was in their local church and then later they changed their religion and he was baptised a third time in the new church! Simon
  3. Simon4130

Bus Garages

With the upcoming closure and demolition of Perry Barr Garage and its replacement by a new building plus the future closure of Liverpool Street that will leave Acocks Green and Yardley Wood as the only traditional style garages still operational. These days open yards that cost less in rates...
  4. Simon4130

Witton Aston Manor Tram Depot

One of the things that the museum directors rushed to complete was to get the building listed including the floor. We knew the museum was being evicted and had no hope of changing that but getting it listed gave the building some hope of being kept intact. Although I do agree that a Grade 2...
  5. Simon4130

Birmingham's Blitz

I got it the first time round. Well recommended for those with an interest in aircraft or wartime history especially. Simon
  6. Simon4130

Birmingham buses

Very interesting article on the Lex conversions. Ronald Edgley Cox was of course the general manager of Walsall Corporation Transport before his role in WMPTE and it was he who specified the short Daimler Fleetlines among other unique and often odd looking purchases. The finished product from...
  7. Simon4130

Buses And Coaches.

A small number of men have managed to get among the girls in the National Express West Midlands fleet usually to commemorate drivers or enthusiasts who are no longer with us, for example bus 6832 is named "Ronnie Morgan" after the legendary enthusiast who left us a couple of years ago. Simon
  8. Simon4130

Cooperative Society Transport

The first coach is definitely a Maudslay Marathon, a Coventry manufacturer later taken over by AEC although for a time after many of those produced still displayed the Maudslay badge. A similar thing happened after AEC also took over Stockport based Crossley Motors. Simon
  9. Simon4130

Transport Companies in Birmingham.

Its quite interesting that this is badged as a Leyland Hippo. The eight wheelers were normally badged as Octopus and the Hippo was normally a three axle model. Simon
  10. Simon4130

Birmingham Cable Tramways Gear

The Great Orme Tramway in Llandudno operates on the cable system too. Well worth a ride if you are in the area, most enjoyable. Simon
  11. Simon4130

Pilot Officer 149605 Thomas Henry Gill Ix Squadron Raf Bomber Command

Really enjoyed reading that Stuart. As it happens only a few days ago I was reading the commemorative magazine celebrating 75 years of the Lancaster which also details the aircraft you mention above. Wellingtons are always of great interest to me too, designed by Barnes Wallis who also developed...
  12. Simon4130

Some Birmingham Buses

Now preserved and in operating condition at Aldridge (formerly Aston Manor) Transport Museum. I travelled on it myself at a running day last year. Simon
  13. Simon4130

Percy Lane Planet Works

It was new to Ipswich Corporation Bob. Simon
  14. Simon4130

Famous catch phrases.

All of these from Claude Jeremiah Greengrass in Heartbeat: "You've more chance of knitting fog" "You must think I came up the river on a biscuit" " And pigs might......" "Can a duck....." "You don't half take chances" "Come into my office" So many sayings from one character... Simon
  15. Simon4130

The Demolition of the former B.C.T Bus Garage at Quinton

Yes Quinton was the second last one built, opening on 30th October 1949 and sadly closing 18th June 1997. The last one built was Lea Hall opening 19th April 1955 and closed 24th July 2010 although thankfully it still exists but used by a clothes recycling firm. Simon
  16. Simon4130

Wolverhampton Former Tram And Bus Garage Demolition

Personally i'm outraged as that is the original wall of the old Bilston Street Garage dating back to 1931 and could easily have been incorporated into a new development. To smash up all that lovely lettering is a disgrace with no regard given to the transport heritage of the area. The lettering...
  17. Simon4130

Chance Glass Factory

That all sounds very exciting. The restoration of the original buildings, reinstating the canal basin and building the lighthouse. Looking at the plans the proposed new buildings don't impose on the originals which is very positive too. Any development that celebrates the history of Birmingham...
  18. Simon4130

Black Sabbath

Fortunately I was able to get to the gig in Dublin to say farewell to my favourite band, it was touch and go whether I would be able to go having been in hospital most of the day having treatment but I got there, I had to stand near the back and stay quiet but still enjoyed it although sad it...
  19. Simon4130

sayings

Most of those sayings I don't recognise Nico apart from the rhyme: Skinny Malig Malogen legs umbrella feet. Went to the pictures and couldn't get a seat (sadly can't remember the rest of it) As the family weren't from Dublin we tended to hear more English sayings and some from other parts of...
  20. Simon4130

A Seventies Childhood.....

I had quite a long Enid Blyton phase too although in my case it was the Famous Five (I still collect rarer items of them today), The Secret Seven and the Five Find Outers (Mystery series) but do confess to reading Mallory Towers too :eek:. When staying in Brum I used to always use a hotel in...
Back