• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. K

Annie Murray

I've, recently read a few books by this writer and wondered if, given the enormous amount of knowledge that forum members have about Birmingham and its history, whether anyone had helped her with research?
  2. K

The Cabin, Coventry Rd, Sheldon

As a kid I seem to remember my aunt and uncle lived at a bungalow on the Coventry Road exactly opposite the Sheldon picture house. Think it was called The Cabin. Does it ring any bells with anyone?
  3. K

Harrisons Opticians

Does anyone out there have any info about the early days of Harrisons Opticians? My Grandads sister married Andrew Harrison and family legend says he invented Orbito pads which are the pads which hold your specs on your nose.
  4. K

Norman Wisdom

Does anyone remember seeing the late great Norman Wisdom do a routine where he got tangled up in the strings of a harp? Probably this would be mid 50's and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen, before or since. My Mom laughed so hard I thought they would need to carry her out. Know what...
  5. K

Joe Brown

Does anyone remember seeing Joe Brown at the Bham Hipp (I think) in the early 60's. He topped the first half. When the curtain came up he was standing side ways on to the audience in a red suit. When he turned to face the crowd, the other half of his suit was yellow! It was not my Mom's cup of...
  6. K

Southall William George Electoral roll 1940

Can anyone tell me if there is an electoral roll for 1940? If there is I wonder if anyone could look up William George Southall and his wife Mary Ellen. Thank you.
  7. K

Midland Assurance, Hagley Road

My first job was as a clerk at Midland Assurance, about 1965. Our boss was Eric Cox and I remember Bob Austin, Chris Kerton, Bob Wakeman, Ralph Badger, Roy Miller who were the Inspectors. Also Pete Atkinson, John Page, Barbara Ball, Wendy Bland and Joan Foxall. Wonder where they all are now...
  8. K

Galloway Races and racing at Billesley Common

Does anyone have any info about Galloway Races during the 1st World War? Also does anyone know of Lawrence Rooney who trained race horses at Hednesford? Family story says that my great gran was selling Race Cards at Billesley Common when Taxi Boy won in August 1915. Would be interested if anyone...
  9. K

St Bernards Grange, Sheldon

Does anyone have any info or photos of St Bernards Grange Sheldon before it became a pub? Think it belonged to the Wimbush family and I wonder who owned it before that. Grateful for any help
Back