• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Newport House School, Harborne

Great to hear from you, LanneB - alerted to your message by MASTG. We must have been at the school at the same time - I would love to see your photos, if you are able to scan and send them. I have lived in Australia for over 40 years and have no records of my time there - except very happy...
  2. G

It was great to get your message, Maureen - thank you so much for replying, and thank you to the forum for finding a fellow student with whom to share memories of happy days at Newport House School. I will write to you privately as I don't think our reminiscences will mean much to anyone else on...
  3. G

Harborne

Thank you so much for that, David. Yes, the flats do look like the 1960’s. The old school looked like the houses on each side – lovely red brick which I always remember from Harborne. So many buildings from my past have disappeared, but I’m sure the new Leisure Centre will be great. Do hope...
  4. G

Harborne

I hope you don’t mind me worrying you again. I was disappointed that no-one seems to know anything about my old school, Newport House. Kind people on the ‘Schools’ and ‘Hands’ threads have worked out that it was in operation from about 1935 to 1952 at 21 Court Oak Rd. The Google street view...
  5. G

Thank you once again, Mike - so it probably lasted less than 20 years. I am trying to write a family history for my grandchildren here in Australia, and was hoping for a few more details or even photos of the schools I went to. Sadly all 3 have been demolished, but I must thank you also for...
  6. G

Thank you for the correction and for giving me Mrs. Hands' full name, which could be helpful. Is there a Kellys or other directory for the years before 1946 or after 1950, which might show how long the school was in operation? It's very kind of you to take the trouble, and I'm very grateful for...
  7. G

Thank you so much, Mike, for your quick reply. What an amazing forum! May I ask how you found the address? Does your source show what type of school it was (any church affiliation?) or show a date when it was still in operation? It's sad that it's been pulled down. I hope you don't mind me...
  8. G

Newport House School, Harborne, was my first school. I left in 1950 when I was 9, as we moved to Surrey, but I have very happy memories of my time there and would like to find out more about the school. I have posted on the Harborne thread, but wondered if someone on this thread might be...
  9. G

Harborne

Please can someone help? We moved to Harborne in 1944 when our house in S. London was destroyed in the war, and I started school there in 1946. Four years later we went back to Surrey, but Harborne will always be a special place for me. My memories are hazy, and it was wonderful to be reminded...
Back