• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Elizabeth Moseley

Hi both. Thanks - Fascinating. Also a bit depressing. Are you gaining this from searching Moseley/Barlow on GRO site? I have three main Moseley family groups in 19th C and I have searched using surname and Mother/Father using Ancestry in an attempt to sweep up all the children, but these three...
  2. M

Elizabeth Moseley

HI MWS, could I trouble you on the Marion Moseley record you identified. Ancestry and FREEBMD identify a birth for her in 1899, but no other viable records. She is not the MM who died in 1945 in Birmingham. Do you have anything that links the MM born 1899 with Rowland Moseley or is it just the...
  3. M

Elizabeth Moseley

Thanks again. I guess I need the 1892 birth certificate to establish the address.
  4. M

Elizabeth Moseley

Thanks all. Quick responses. I am trying to exhaust my Ancestry and other online resources before ordering certificates. But yes that is an option in terms of establishing the address at that time, but I would need to use Find My Past to do a street search on that address it seems. Thanks to...
  5. M

Elizabeth Moseley

Hi, I am reviving my family history by having another attempt to identify lost relatives from 1800s. The first family I am interested in are seemingly absent from the 1891 Census. They are Rowland, Mary Ann, Julia Alice, Elizabeth and Walter Moseley (Moseley often misspelled as Mousley, Mawsley...
  6. M

Poor Rate

Can anyone explain what is meant by the Poor Rate. Birmingham rate books I am looking at for early 1900s mention the Poor Rate for the rating district. The gross rate is about £12 10s for properties in the street in Aston I am looking at. I understand that the Poor Rate has its origins in the...
  7. M

Frustrated

Interesting though, particularly as the 1841 and 1851 census records for Joseph Moseleys in Birmingham do not identify a daughter named Anne, apart from my ancester,
  8. M

Frustrated

Hi Janice Yes, I know that one. The other two possibilities for Ann are interesting; it is though a bit difficult to verify because if she remained single until her death in 1882 I would havbe expected to find her on earlier census records
  9. M

Frustrated

Yes, the Joseph Perry lead looked promising, but alas nothing else adds up. Elizabeth's father lived until 1915, while her mother died in 1895. The family headed by Ann is entirely separate. On the Hannah Moseley possibility, I did wonder whether she may have left home to work as opposed to...
  10. M

Frustrated

Carolina, yes over the years I have, but no harm in listing it again:- 1. Ann Moseley Born 31 August 1838 in Aston - mother Ann, father Joseph Last census entry 1851 - Howe Street (This is not the Ann Moseley who married Thomas Hunt in 1856) 2. Elizabeth Moseley Born 4 May 1872 in...
  11. M

Frustrated

Hi, I am becoming increasingly frustrated in being unable to trace two of my female ancestors from 1800s Birmingham using online resources. I know the last census record they appear on with their parents (1851 and 1881 respectively), but in spite of many years searching Ancestry, FreeBMD (which...
  12. M

Jessop Robert and Alice May

Thanks Lu, Could be a distant relative of the bakers you are researching. Robert's father was not a baker and I dont think he started his working life in that trade. So, something led him down that path. Cheers.
  13. M

Hornibrook

Janice, thanks. My Dad knows some of this, but certainly not much after his mum died in 1951.
  14. M

Hornibrook

Hi, I am interested in hearing from anyone related to my maternal grandmother, Lily Hornibrook, daughter of George Edward and Emma Hornibrook. The family were originally from London, but moved to Yardley in the early 20th century, settling in Harvey Road. Unfortunately, Lily died before I was...
  15. M

Jackson Mabel and Ann

Pam, Thanks. That's interesting, as her sister was a an assistant mistress at a school. The age does not quite work, but these are not always accurate anyway. Worth pursuing, cheers!
  16. M

Hi Janice, thanks. The Kidderminster record is interesting as his sister in law, Kate, ended her days in Blakedown. Kate was living with Robert and Alice May in 1911.
  17. M

Moseley Elizabeth

Re: Elizabeth Moseley Hi Clarkie, I agree this looks possible, but alas it is not the one. Elizabeth's mother died in 1895 and I know from a family tree drawn in 1950s and census records that she did not have a brother called Arthur. The family tree, drawn by a person alive at the turn of the...
  18. M

Old Church, Edgbaston Lookups

Hi, A number of my ancestors in the early to mid 1800s married at Edgbaston Parish Church, but neither partner lived there - residing in Aston mostly. I have always assumed that this was because the church was a more attractive venue, but wonder whether there is any other reason?
  19. M

Moseley Elizabeth

Hi, I have been struggling for a number of years to find out what became of my ancestor, Elizabeth Moseley. She was born in Aston in about 1872 to Rowland and Mary Ann (nee Barlow) Moseley. She disappears from census records after 1881 and I have been unable trace her. I have used this Forum to...
  20. M

Hi, I am interested in hearing from anyone who is related to a Robert and Alice May (nee Moseley) Jessop, who in 1911 were living in Gilbert Road, Smethwick. Robert was a baker. I am unable to identify any records beyond the 1911 census. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Back