• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. I

Oliver Garage - 278 Chester Road, Castle Bromwich

I just found out through this forum that The Clock Garage has gone! Several years ago now? I lived in Ashville Avenue, behind the houses on Chester Road opposite in 50s/60s! Could see the clock tower from my bedroom window. Worked there for a short time circa 1965 in their new car sales...
  2. I

Castle Bromwich clubs

David! How amazing to get your reply! I'm deeply embarrassed/ashamed to have referred to you as a precocious brat :( apologies!!! Of course, your mum & dad were Joan & Dave - can still picture you all! If you email me [email protected] I'll send you a picture which may jolt your memory...
  3. I

Birmingham Cinemas

I remember going to a Saturday Matinee at The Beaufort, Washwood Heath. Some stupid boy sitting behind me put bubble gum in my hair! I got a real bollocking off my mom and she banned me from going again....as if it was my fault? I was about 9 in 1956! Happy memories!
  4. I

St Gerards Hospital, Coleshill

Mine goes back to 1963 Sue so won't be the same nun? Thanks!
  5. I

Sister Eta, I always thought it was Sister Rita!!! She was in charge of the boys' wards 5 & 6! I was on the girls' wards 7 & 8 opposite and the other side of the pond!
  6. I

Birmingham Cinemas

I was at that reunion!!!
  7. I

Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich

My sister and I lived nearby and used to go round there to buy pop and crisps from the Outdoor.....as kids weren't allowed inside. This would have been mid 50s. I went to Heathlands Primary School with boy called Kenneth who's father was the licensee
  8. I

Interesting, thank you. However, this is in a slightly different locatiion to where it was when I was there. It is behind the buildings so quite close. Amazing that it was in existence so long ago! Were you a patient there? Ingrid
  9. I

It was Wards 1 & 2 and the area you are referring to was called The Terrace where the babies were! Sister Philip was the nun in charge of those wards
  10. I

Hi Colin you were probably on Wards 5 & 6 the boys' wards where you could see the pond with the statue. It's still there! The grounds are still the same! You were there a long time before me. My first visit was in 1957. Where do you live now?
  11. I

I was on Wards 8 in 1957/58 and then again 1959/61 and the last time Sept to Nov 1963!
  12. I

Birmingham Cinemas

My local cinemas were The Castle in Castle Bromwich where I had my first snog in 1962 aged 15. We went to see Petticoat Pirates and I remember someone behind us making reference to the fact that it was more interesting watching us than the film!!!! The other local was the Beaufort where, in...
  13. I

Yes, it is you Ethna, I remember now you had an unusual name. You had blonde boufant hair which stood out from the others. Do you remember your pink striped uniform!! I was the oldest patient in hospital in Sept/Nov and as such had certain privileges. I was allowed to go out into Coleshill...
  14. I

I am sure it is you that I remember. Were you 17 in November 1963? That is the main clue? Also did you work on Wards 7 and 8!
  15. I

No probs! The photos are of Wards 7 and 8 as it was in my day although obviously in a mess now. In fact, the beds I used to be in are probably those shown in the picture. Also, the bath is one I used hundreds of times. It was to make me a very quick bather as there was always someone waiting to...
  16. I

Morris of Water Orton

If you go onto Friends Reunited and look at the local Water Orton school or Parkhall Comp sites, look for the Hodkinson family. There several but note the spelling Hodkinson. Gillian, Mavis, Peter, etc. their parents still live in Watton Lane, Water Orton, or they did up until quite recently...
  17. I

Castle Bromwich clubs

I used to work at the Chesterfield Club (formerly BelAir). Charlie Phillips of Redcroft Timber owned the place. Can't remember Mrs Phillips' name but can picture her. They had a young son called David, I think, and he was allowed to drive Charlie's jag around the carpark when he was about 10...
  18. I

I remember a lot of these names. Do you remember me? Ingrid Martin?
  19. I

Castle Bromwich

I remember Pimple Hill in the early to mid 50's. We used to walk down what we called Leafy Lane (Birmingham Road) and on the left was Castle Bromwich Hall. We used to climb over the wall and get tadpoles from the ponds. When we visited Castle Bromwich Hall a few years ago, I was told that a...
  20. I

Hunters Moon Castle Bromwich

I went to Heathland Junior School in the 50's with a boy called Kenneth whose father was the licensee of the Hunter's Moon. I lived in Ashville Avenue. I remember getting off the No. 56 bus once in thick smog. I was only 12 ish and it was so bad, I suddenly found myself up against the pub...
Back