• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Malt Shovel - Dartmouth Street

Believe the Malt Shovel pub existed in Dartmouth Street but not sure of the number. Reading a previous thread it appears as being number 108 but in others it appears as 150 - can anyone confirm which is correct? A relative's grandmother Annie M Lloyd is apparently listed in one of the Kellys...
  2. M

Harry Oates - final resting place

Can any of you great detectives/sleuths on this site help me find the final resting place of Harry Oates. Harry is listed on the deaths database as dying in Brum in 1950 (no idea what quarter). My next door neighbour was pageboy at his daughters wedding in 1943 and would like to visit Harry's...
  3. M

Oates, electoral registers request

Hi, Can anybody find a Harold Oates for me between the years of 1940 and 1955 through the electoral rolls. He lived with his wife Jennifer (Jenny) and daughter Margaret - believed to be somewhere in Birmingham Rd or Walsall Rd, Great Barr and then possibly Wake Green Road, Moseley - not sure...
  4. M

Camden equipment, key hill

Hi, Can anyone give me some clues about the existence of this factory? My elderly neighbour believes it was situated in the Key Hill area of the Jewellery Quarter (possibly in or around Hylton Street) and traded in the 1940s and early 1950s. He believes that the factory owner was a certain...
  5. M

Lichfield Road and surrounding area, Mere Green/Four Oaks

Can anyone help me? I am looking for the house number for Gilbertsone (name of house), Lichfield Road, Sutton Coldfield. I am trying to find if this house is still standing. It was the home of an Austin Gyde according to the 1911 Census. We know that Austin Gyde moved into Conygar...
  6. M

Private Albert S. J. Brooks 51631 17th Batallion Scottish R - info required.

I am trying to trace the history of the above - my wife's grandfather. I have kindly received the info below from Mike on the Birmingham History forum but know no more - is the 17th battalion part of Scottish Rifles or the Royal Scots? When did he join, what action, if any, did they see? Are...
  7. M

Burial Plot Information - May Brooks may be listed as Mary Brookes, Key Hill Oct 1926

I have been told that Ma(r)y Brook(e)s who died at the Raddlebarn Road Infirmary/Workhouse was buried in Key Hill Cemetry in October 1926. Could anyone help me locate the final resting place of my wife's grandmother. Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated.
  8. M

Workhouse Death - 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak

I am investigating the death of my wife's grandmother May Brookes who died in the Workhouse/Infirmary at 1a Raddle Barn Road, Selly Oak. She had a history of being in the Western Road Workhouse for periods in her later life but ended in Selly Oak - dying of TB at the age of 44. My question is...
  9. M

Birth records western road workhouse

I am searching for an uncle of mine Thomas John Brooks who was believed born in Dec 1920 at the Western Road Workhouse. He was subsequently bought up in Father Hudson's Home Coleshill. From records received from the home it appears he was born out of wedlock and there is some doubt that the...
  10. M

Electoral Register Look up - Brooks 41 Arden Road Sept 1949

Can anyone help me track a long lost uncle - name Brookes lived at 41 Arden Road, Birmingham 6 in Sept 1949. What was his full name and the other residents at this address and how long did they live there? His name is listed as the son on my wife's grandfather's death certificate - Albert...
  11. M

Wilton Steet, Aston & Andover Place, Cowper Street U.D.

My father in law's half sister Isabel Louisa May Brooks was born in 5 Andover Place, Cowper Street UD on 23rd August 1909. The mother May Brooks lived at 64 Wilton Street, Aston. Were these two streets close to one another? - don't have a map of this area. I don't understand why she was born...
  12. M

Unable to view forum images

Have recently upgraded my PC operating system to Windows 7. On accessing the Birmingham History site I am now unable to view any images associated with the forums. I have not been on the site for a little while. Is there something stopping me viewing the images ? Is it Windows 7 or Internet...
  13. M

St Martins, Birmingham 1829

Can anybody help me? I am looking to find an address for a Lydia Latham who was born in Aug 1829 and christened in St Martins and was the first child of Luke and Elizabeth Latham. I can trace them from 1841 where they appear in Kineton, Warwicksire but would like to find their address in...
Back