• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Dave C

The Gullett

My Thompson ancestors were in the Gullet in 1841 having moved from Lichfield, I note the proximity to Lichfield Street which may explain how they settled there. This is the 'nicest' illustration I have seen of the Gullett, do you know where it came from or have any more info!
  2. Dave C

Birmingham Corporation bus history

Thanks Lloyd this is very interesting.
  3. Dave C

Birmingham Corporation bus history

My Great Uncle was a motor bus driver in 1930 operating from the Arthur Street depot otherwise known as Coventry Road. Does anyone know what he would have been driving, ie a tram or a bus and are there any photos of the depot from that period - I can't find any!
  4. Dave C

Augusta Street Jewellery Quarter

Hi Keith how interesting, yes, definitely the same family! My direct Great Grandfather was Francis Lacey, son of George Lacey Jnr as I call him, b 1838. It's an interesting line moving from the Bromsgrove area of Worcestershire to Birmingham where as you say they moved between Gilt Toys...
  5. Dave C

Serck

Great memories, I should've added that on the Saturday walking Hay Bluff we bumped into a party of girls doing a similar outward bound type thing, of course we young lads didn't have the courage to speak up but Don Grantham went up to the leader and just like conducting an army exercise...
  6. Dave C

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

Hi Bob, I'm replying for Phil. His Grans name was Ellen Lacey and she lived and in and ran a small grocers shop at 150 Cattell Road from about 1908 until about 1955. My dad and Mom (Phil and Frances Carr) lived there with me as baby from 1953 until 1955. My Great Grandfather Jim Carr lived in...
  7. Dave C

Augusta Street Jewellery Quarter

just noticed this, my Laceys were Gilt Toy Makers and Jewellers in Brum, although they came originally from Worcestershire. Is the name George Lacey born 1838 a possible connection? Cheers Dave
  8. Dave C

Howard's Place, Birmingham

a bit of time has passed since this post but I have also found a Howard Place with the following reference; note St Judes. I believe it may have been somewhere between Hill Street and Suffolk Street Street Howard Place Parish Birmingham City or borough Birmingham Town Birmingham County...
  9. Dave C

Canal Street, Aston

I can see that this thread is a few years old now but I am also trying to establish which Canal Street my ancestors lived in during the 1840s. I assumed it would be near New Canal Street but this photo from the Birmingham Mail suggests it was off Broad Street, any suggestions?
  10. Dave C

National Trust Back To Backs Inge Street

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I also contacted the National Trust and had a really interesting reply from a David Humphries who works as a volunteer for the Back to Backs in Hurst/Inge Street. He provided a very detailed reply including an important person in the Co-operative movement...
  11. Dave C

thanks Mike, I can see that now. It will make my next trip to the back to backs a little more interesting! Dave
  12. Dave C

thanks Viv, appreciated, I will have a good read, Dave
  13. Dave C

Mike thats great, can I just ask you a question, I can see the red area but also what appears to be Court 1 in white next to it, separated by a wall I think. Were both sides of the wall Court 1? Also I am guessing that they would have accessed the Court through the entries which seem to shaded...
  14. Dave C

I have just discovered that my ancestors lived in CT 1 House 3 Inge Street in late Victorian times and by the turn of the century had moved to 52, Back Inge Street. Does anyone know how far away this might have been from the National Trust Back to Backs which are at the junction of Inge Street...
  15. Dave C

Biddles in Bevington Road

Hi Di, I have just discovered that my ancestors lived in CT 1 House 3 Inge Street in late Victorian times and also 52, Back Inge Street. Do you happen to know how far away this might have been from the National Trust Back to Backs? best wishes Dave
  16. Dave C

Cattell Road between the Atlas and Arsenal St

Barbara I don't know what they charge but why don't you phone this company, it's local to you https://www.palmlabs.co.uk/ There must be lots of old negatives that would be interesting to see
  17. Dave C

Northfield / Kings Norton on film

thanks Ian, that would be appreciated. I live in Paignton now but often travel back 'home' to pursue family history enquiries and just take in the air! I actually grew up in Northfield Institute on Church Road, quite an interesting place in it own right. best wishes Dave
  18. Dave C

X Rays!!

Does anyone remember buying shoes in the 1950s? I remember going with my dad to the shoe shop in Northfield (not Huins Shoes, the other one near Woolies) where for a while at least there was an X Ray box that I was told to poke both feet into. When I stretched to look into a what the butler...
  19. Dave C

Northfield / Kings Norton on film

did anyone see this? I've just read this thread and as I grew up in Northfield in the 50s would be interested in seeing some of these films. Does anyone know if they plan to show them again? Dave
  20. Dave C

Woodward

Ladylinda I went to college in the 70s in Birmingham with a Steve Phipps, loved golf (unlike me who sticks to footie), not one of yours?? Dave
Back