• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Lloyd

Birmingham Training college - Bristol Road, Westbourne Road

Here is a photo of a tram on Bristol Road, route 71 (Rubery) located I'm fairly sure at the junction with Eastern Road. The tram is therefore heading towards town. What are the buildings behind, on what would otherwise be the King Edward's school playing fields? They appear to be mostly of...
  2. Lloyd

Repeal of the Turnpike acts

It is the intention of the Law Commission to repeal the remaining highway turnpike acts, many dating from the late 17th and early 18th centuries. Not as drastic as it may sound, these acts had been rendered obsolete by subsequent legislation but never officially removed from the statute books...
  3. Lloyd

Nicholas Winton, the 'British Schindler'

I know this is just over a year late (4th Sept 2009), but I didn't hear of it at the time and have only just read of the actions of this man, who in his spare time organised the evacuation of eight trainloads of children from Czechoslovakia. From The Daily Telegraph, 4 September 2009: Sir...
  4. Lloyd

What and Where is this?

Following on from recent 'competitions' where you have to identify a local scene, try this one. What is the car? What did its design lead to? Where is the location (yes it's outside Birmingham - just a little)? I'll check back for your answers later.
  5. Lloyd

Royal Oak Day, 29th May

Royal Oak Day marks the Restoration of England’s Monarchy and celebrates our freedom from tyranny. It is part of our English Culture and Heritage. https://www.royaloakday.org.uk/index.html
  6. Lloyd

Metro extension

METRO BIRMINGHAM CITY CENTRE EXTENSION SET TO GET APPROVAL February 2010 The extension of Midland Metro through Birmingham City Centre from the current Snow Hill terminus to New Street station is expected to be given £82 million of Government funding in the next few days. The DfT have...
  7. Lloyd

50 years of motorway coach operation

To mark 50 years since the opening of the M1 (actually on 2nd November 1959) and the start of the famous Midland Red Motorway Express service between Birmingham and London, Wythall museum's Midland Red CM6T motorway coach joined Roger Burdett's newly restored Midland Red C5 coach and a modern...
  8. Lloyd

Steam Trams

We have had photos of the steam trams that used to ply our streets 100 years ago, but in Bern, Switzerland, one has been restored and runs again: www.youtube.com/watch?v=iax79ezuQPM In Ferrymead Heritage Park, Christchurch New Zealand there is an 1881 Kitson steam tram locomotive identical to...
  9. Lloyd

Stratford Road horse tram depot

I only spotted today a tram depot I never knew existed, between Sturge Street (now St Johns Road) and Jenny's lane (Now Baker Street), Stratford Road. The site was later taken by the Salvation Army chapel, now called Lighthouse Chapel. (give the link a minute or so to open street level view)...
  10. Lloyd

Tubbs and mineral waters

I seem to think that someone was looking for a Tubbs connected with mineral water making. While researching something else, I came across this in the London Journal: "NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, William John Oakes and Frank...
  11. Lloyd

The Lamp Tavern Barford Street

The Lamp Tavern, Macdonald Street end. Replacement Photo
  12. Lloyd

Kings Heath in the 60s

I found this old home video on youtube and thought some of you would like to see it. Kings Heath, people and places in 1960. YouTube - This Is Kings Heath - 1960
  13. Lloyd

Birmingham on film

How about a place for film clips with Birmingham as the backdrop? See who you remember on this one, and whatever happened to that fountain?
  14. Lloyd

Night Mail

The first Travelling Post Office in Britain was a converted horsebox that left London for Birmingham on January 20, 1838. January 10th 2004 marked the last journey of the Travelling Post Offices (TPOs), which sorted mail at the same time as carrying it across the country. "This is the Night...
  15. Lloyd

Snow!

Comprising train and track footage quickly shot just before a heavy winter's snowfall was melting, the award-winning classic that emerged from the cutting-room compresses British Rail's dedication to blizzard-battling into a thrilling eight-minute montage cut to music. Tough-as-boots workers...
  16. Lloyd

Where is this? No. 65

A row of suburban shops, sometime in the late 50s or the 60s. In my younger days I knew them well: I delivered papers from one, had my hair cut in another, delivered milk to many of them, these were probably the first shops I ever saw from my pram, as they were the nearest to our house. But...
  17. Lloyd

Where is this 53

Preserved 1937 Birmingham Corporation Daimler no 1107 is seen here in 1976 on a special 'Golden Jubilee' run round the outer circle 11 route, which was then 50 years old. Yes, I know that's 32 years ago! The bus was 70 last year! Where is it though? As it's easy I want the name of the road and...
  18. Lloyd

Where is this 50

End of the line. A Birmingham tram terminus nearing the end of its days is our half-century place quiz - where is this now unrecognisable former terminus? (A couple of clues there!)
  19. Lloyd

William Grice & Sons, Minerva Works, Fazeley St.

I am doing some research which would be helped by knowing what William Grice & Sons of Minerva Works, Fazeley St. did or made in the late 20s and early 30s. Any ideas, folks??
  20. Lloyd

Great Charles Street centre

Much of the Air Raid Precaution and post-raid Damage Control was dealt with at the Civil Defence regional headquarters at 156 Great Charles Street, and my father worked there during part at least of the war. Their job apparently was to advise ARP wardens of approaching aircraft by close...
Back