• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. C

George Rd Baptist Church Erdington

Jennyann's brief mention of this church in her fascinating memories of Erdington, reminded me of the late 50' early 60's when I attended the church. As a young lad I joined a boys' club there called " The Jucos" which were a junior version of an older boys' club called "The Covenanters". Many...
  2. C

W.J: Whittall & Son Builders. Any info please

My father served his apprentiship with the above between 1930 to 1935 and worked for them well into the early 1960's. Whittalls had a major contract with GEC Witton pre and post WW2 where my Grandfather,Father and 2 uncles were also employed in the construction of I think the turbo bays and...
  3. C

The Greyhound

Was that name of the cider house at the top of the Ringway ? up a hill I think was called Lea Bank. I was always told to stay away as it was a real "roughie"
  4. C

Nicknames

Here's a bit of fun. Don't be shy. What were you called in the playground or at work, or by your family ? Well now, with a surname like mine, I'll leave you to imagine all the permutations, but as a nipper my Father called me "Everso" as in "Mom, I'm ever so hungry, or cold, tired, fed up...
  5. C

Children's Radio Programmes

Remember Uncle Mac on Saturday morning 9 till 10 on the wireless ? Childrens' Favourites. How about:- The Laughing Policeman Sparky's Magic Piano The Billy Goats Gruff There must be loads more.......
  6. C

Marsh Hill Boys Grammar Tech School

The school was opened in 1959 and shared the same campus as Stockland Green Secondary Modern and Marsh Hill Girls Grammar School opened in 1960. Edit. A link to Marsh Hill Girls Grammar Tech is here...
  7. C

Top chip shop

I'm sure this topic may have been done, but I'm talking about the chip shops at a time when curry sauce, fancy sausages, pies and mushy peas were unheard of. All you could get was a piece of cod (or plaice if it was payday) and a six of chips. Salt from a large aluminium shaker and the vinegar...
  8. C

Wills

Are Wills open to public view ? If so, where do I need to go to search ? Thanks.
  9. C

Nicknames & Petnames

I don't mean names of your pets but what your family called you. You can imagine with a surname like mine what I went through in school, I'll draw a veil over that. In my early years I was known as "Everso" as in, I'm ever so hungry or I'm ever so tired or I'm ever so cold. I was also...
  10. C

Mothers' Misunderstandings

I was minded to start this thread by a mother story by Brumophile under Primary School Cricket, which is a typical Mother's misunderstanding. Here's one of mine:- I took the ferry from Penzance to the Scilly Islands and for the first and only time in my life I was horribly seasick. When I felt...
  11. C

The Stockland Green Flyer

I promise you all that this is true. In the early 60's I left school and joined the queues at Stockland Green bus stops around 4.15pm. One day I was late and the queues had gone and I waited at the No.11 stop alone to see a bus coming over the hill from Erdington flying down the hill past...
  12. C

Help please : 2 Aston streets

At the bottom of Electric Ave, turn left under the railway bridge into Aston Hall Road and the was a road on the left and about halfway down that road was another road first right. Any help please. My Father's cousin had a small engineering business there and the first great love of my life...
  13. C

The Verb "To Mow"

A favourite with my Mother, who used the word instead of walk or travel when she had to go somewhere in an exsaperated mood. As in :- "I had to mow up the Witton to catch the bus" or maybe "The shop was closed so I had to mow all the way to Erdington"
  14. C

"I'll catch you a sparra"

My Father always used to use this phrase if I had done him a good turn.
  15. C

The Birmingham Fortnight

Hope this thread will unearth the memories. The annual 2 weeks in the summer, when almost all the factories shut down and Birmingham was off on holiday. Lots could not afford to go away, but many will have fond (or otherwise) memories of lugging the suitcases onto the bus and from there to...
  16. C

"thundering"

My mother would say this if she was concerned for my safety, as in :- "Don't climb that tree, you'll break your thundering neck !" I think the word is a substitute adjective for something more fruity, although I don't think my Mother had any obscene words in her vocabulary.
  17. C

Sparkhill Commercial School

Does anyone have any memories or reminiscences of this school ?
  18. C

School Milk

Our junior school (Yew Tree) milk in the 1950's had always been delivered when we arrived in the morning. So it had possibly been standing outside for at least a couple of hours. In the summer, in full sun and in winter, in the freezing cold. It's already making my throat constrict..... Summer...
  19. C

Bus Tickets

Bus tickets held a mystical significance when we were kids. You had a lucky ticket if the numbers added up to 21 or if they they read the same left to right as right to left. A real prize ticket was one with all the same numbers. Of course the opposite was true if the numbers added up to 13...
  20. C

What a cat's got

When tossing a coin my Father would always call, "what a cat's got" . The opposition would assume tails, but when it came down heads................. a cat has a head too.
Back