• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. anvil man

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Didn't realise I was using this piece of Cadbury's advertising , a coaster ,on my bedroom side cupboard for my early morning cup of tea until I thought it needed a clean!!!
  2. anvil man

Handsworth Technical School

Garden Gerald.... Do I understand form your Post 370 you were a pupil at Handsworth Tech ?
  3. anvil man

Bus Tokens

I remember using the tokens for the bus journey from Selly Oak to Handsworth Tech during perhaps 1952 and then to all the inter tech football matches on Saturdays. These were then superceded by a blue cardboard pocket-size pass issued at the Council House. Then , in perhaps 1953 the amount of...
  4. anvil man

Selly Oak Hospital

Thank you Viv for your favourable comments, however, I am anvil man and have been on the Forum for a few years now. When the provider changed I became slightly confused with the set up and experimented with the new system, hence the appearance of the different name. I seem to have come to...
  5. anvil man

Key hill

Some of the older members will surely remember that sparrows generally refrained from pecking at freshly immerging peas in the veg garden. If they were somewhat of a pest then 4 or 5 strands of black cotton would deter them, no trouble !! Not so nowadays . I have to put wire netting over my...
  6. anvil man

Forum Donations

PayPal confirmed my donation went through
  7. anvil man

Birmingham's Image And Status

A few years ago I worked as a car park attendant on a holiday beach near Pembroke. Many visitors were from Birmingham ,as judged by their accent, and as a Brummie myself could almost detect the side of Birmingham they were from. I'd ask those, who looked happy enough to be asked, where did they...
  8. anvil man

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

When my late mother worked in the Export Office during the 1950s she told me that great care had to be taken not to direct chocolate exports onto Israeli or Palestinian ships going to either's home destination. Trade must have been (and still maybe at the present time) a nightmare to organise.
  9. anvil man

Shoes

During the war I used to repair my shoes using material from a rubber conveyor belt I found in the local river. I used a last and fixed the sole with small brads but often these protruded to the inside leading to sore feet !! Trimming the rubber was a problem resulting in very rough edges ...
  10. anvil man

Birmingham Farming History

Looking at the artist's impression of a "farm" in Birmingham, it seems that it is a market garden being suggested. Surely a farm is more than a market garden.
  11. anvil man

Birmingham Farming History

I readily remember Lucas's farm alongside Bournville Lane / Cob Lane until its demolition for the building of the new police complex probably in the 1960s. Opposite that the Wagon Works offices were built maybe in the late 1950s. As a school boy in the 1947/48 period I went potato picking on...
  12. anvil man

Air raid shelters

The air raid shelter we had at the bottom of the garden suffered from ground water seepage , hence needing a small sump in which to insert a bucket. Now that's rising damp!!!
  13. anvil man

The Birmid

Some of those attending the Reunion at the Stag and Three Horseshoes on the 9th December
  14. anvil man

Restoring Britain's Landmparks - the Landmark atrust

Regarding free advertising for the Landmark Trust, this cannot compare to the advertising for celebrities interviewed on The One Show on BBC 1 get promoting their new books , films, theatre etc..
  15. anvil man

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

I can remember during War time venturing into mom's pantry ( do you remember those dark places?) and finding a brown paper bag with strange contents. On asking ,my mother told me the contents were candied peel. I was not allowed to try a piece ,mother telling me that we had got to keep it in...
  16. anvil man

Holidays of the past

Re: When did you first se the sea? In 1937 I went , with my parents, on holiday to Scarborough staying with relations who I believe had a shop on the front. Although I was so young I can remember the fright and pain I had when being given a cup of tea (yes we drank tea from an early age!)...
  17. anvil man

What did you wear?

I have just been going hot and cold having thoughts on what I wore to bed in the 1940s. I'm afraid to say it was the shirt I was given on Monday morning to last me till the following Sunday night. It was the same shirt I went to school in so that meant I wore it 168 hours without removing...
  18. anvil man

Electric Trams

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I thought a lovely picture of a tram climbing Griffins Hill on the Bristol Road probably pre WW2. Notice the lovely clear dual carriageway.
  19. anvil man

Make do and Mend

I remember during the war time years my mother would make pillow cases and handkerchiefs from linen obtained ,by soaking in water, old blue prints. I believe these were throw outs from the Austin Motor Co drawing offices. It seemed that the linen was treated with a product that created a blue...
  20. anvil man

Little Bromwich Hospital

Re: little bromage hospital pejoy On the thread "Fever Hospitals in Birmingham 1930s" there are some interesting Posts on Little Bromwich Hospital.
Back