• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Chris_Baker

Flag Tavern or Flag Inn, Howe Street

I have found that a relative of mine, one Morris Howells, was a publican who moved from the White Hart Inn on Cromwell Street to the Flag Tavern (or Flag Inn) on Howe Street in 1891. A long shot, I know, but does anyone know of photographs of either pub in the late 19th Century? I am...
  2. Chris_Baker

Chelmsley Wood - Area 10 - Auckland Drive

My family was one of the first to move into Area 10 of Chelmsley Wood when it was still being built. I think it was in 1969 and I was still at Yorkswood Juniors in Kingshurst (used to go on my bike). We lived on Auckland Drive. For the next three years until we moved away I had a paper round...
  3. Chris_Baker

Alan Tucker - member of this forum

I am not sure if this has already been mentioned: apologies if so. I have heard that Alan Tucker, an active and most helpful member of this forum, passed away on 5 September 2013. Alan was well progressed with work on a transcription of the WW1 war diaries of the battalions of the Royal...
  4. Chris_Baker

Birmingham Post and Mail war memorial

Nice piece by Richard McComb in yesterday's Post, now also online at https://www.birminghampost.net/life-leisure-birmingham-guide/postfeatures/2011/11/11/lest-we-forget-65233-29747724/ I was very pleased to be able to help.
  5. Chris_Baker

Richard Francis Rowley, 11th Royal Warwicks

I'd be grateful for any information from local press regarding Sgt Richard Francis Rowley, who was killed in France while serving with the 11th Royal Warwicks on 27 October 1915. Sadly it appears his service record has been destroyed and his entry in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission...
  6. Chris_Baker

Evacuees sent to Pershore (Worcs) and Swanwick (Derbyshire)

My mum and dad were evacuees. Mum, who lived in Bordesley Green, was sent to Pershore and hated it. Dad, from deepest Aston, went to Swanwick and had a great time. My mum is still alive and I am sure she would be delighted to hear from any others who went to Pershore. I'd be interested to know...
  7. Chris_Baker

Carrs Lane 1914-1918

I have been asked to research a Sparkhill chap who was a conscientious objector in WW1. This man attended Carrs Lane Church and I am trying to determine the implications of this in terms of his specific religion or alliances ... could he have been a Christadelphian or one of the Plymouth...
  8. Chris_Baker

Birmingham conscientious objectors 1916-1918

I have been asked to research a Sparkhill chap who was a conscientious objector in WW1. I understand that records of the local Birminghamm tribunals that heard claims for exemption from military service have been destroyed - but I would be grateful for any information people have found about...
  9. Chris_Baker

Bham 1918 Absent Voters List lookup (please!)

I would be eternally grateful if someone with access to the 1918 Birmingham Absent Voters List could look for this chap for me. I am afraid that his address is not known other than it was in Birmingham. Pte 29584 John Rafferty, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Any confirmation of his address or...
  10. Chris_Baker

Burial of someone who committed suicide

Sad to say, my great grandfather committed suicide in 1928. I recently got a copy of the inquest papers from the Central Library. Very sobering reading, especially when the file contained his original suicide note. Sent a bit of a chill up my spine, I can tell you. My question is this. Given...
  11. Chris_Baker

Birmingham's military hospitals 1914-1918

Just thought anyone looking for info on this subject might like to see my page at https://www.1914-1918.net/southerngen.htm. Always interested in gathering more information and stories on this subject.
  12. Chris_Baker

Finding places of burial

I am sure this has been asked a thousand times but I have not found a discussion thread that gives me what I am looking for. Apologies if it exists somewhere. I have the names, some addresses and dates of death , either exact or close, of many of my Birmingham family, ranging from the early...
  13. Chris_Baker

Bert Wilson

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could locate a photo of Bert Wilson, landlord/proprietor of (first c1901) the Court Restaurant on Corporation Street (now Yates's bar opposite the law courts) and (second, certainly there in 1913-14) the White Lion on Horse Fair. Bert was my...
  14. Chris_Baker

The Long, Long Trail

Not a family history website but hopefully of great help to Brummies and others trying to trace the military service of family members in WW1. https://www.1914-1918.net I am the author of the site. If you have any questions or WW1 things you need help with, do let me know.
Back