• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Chris_Baker

Finding my Grandfather

Just for anyone interested, the black and white maps are from my website The Long, Long Trail
  2. Chris_Baker

Flag Tavern or Flag Inn, Howe Street

I have found that a relative of mine, one Morris Howells, was a publican who moved from the White Hart Inn on Cromwell Street to the Flag Tavern (or Flag Inn) on Howe Street in 1891. A long shot, I know, but does anyone know of photographs of either pub in the late 19th Century? I am...
  3. Chris_Baker

Information sought on great grandfather, 11th Battalion Royal Warwickshire killed at Arras on 28 May 1917

On 28 May 1917, the 11th Royal Warwicks were in the front line area east of Arras. The previous day, they had been providing working parties improving the Wancourt-Feuchy defensive line. Later on 28 May, they were relieved by another unit and marched out to Achicourt. The battalion's war diary...
  4. Chris_Baker

Somme

The official casualty lists can be found online in several places. I have some information about that here: http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/casualty-lists/ Hospital admission registers are much less complete...
  5. Chris_Baker

Somme

Tel D, there are several other West Midlands men who served with the West Yorkshire Regiment with numbers around 15701. They enlisted voluntarily in thier home areas on and around 6 November 1914 and it was their own choice to join that regiment. Perhaps there was a concerted effort to recruit...
  6. Chris_Baker

Graves at St. Mary's Church, Whittall Street

Thank you. My search of the forum somehow did not manage to locate that! Very helpful.
  7. Chris_Baker

Graves at St. Mary's Church, Whittall Street

My family live on Whittall Street and Weaman Street for many years and I have found that several of them were buried in St. Mary's churchyard cemetery. I have seen a news clipping ("Birmingham Gazette" of Tuesday 24 September 1929) that suggests that the remains were relocated to Witton...
  8. Chris_Baker

Chelmsley Wood - Area 10 - Auckland Drive

Thank you, both. Very interesting. I had no idea that this kind of regeneration was going on there. I must stop by one day soon and have a wander around.
  9. Chris_Baker

Chelmsley Wood - Area 10 - Auckland Drive

My family was one of the first to move into Area 10 of Chelmsley Wood when it was still being built. I think it was in 1969 and I was still at Yorkswood Juniors in Kingshurst (used to go on my bike). We lived on Auckland Drive. For the next three years until we moved away I had a paper round...
  10. Chris_Baker

John Anderton

Charlie, where did John live? There area few "possibles" of the right name and age in the service record collections.
  11. Chris_Baker

Thomas Cecil Rogers

The pension records held by WFA are not available online or anywhere else. They were about to be thrown out by the Ministry of Defence a couple of years ago, and WFA saved them by agreeing to take them into storage. They are thinking about digitising them but they are complex documents and not...
  12. Chris_Baker

Thomas Cecil Rogers

I would not advise that, frankly. You would be wasting your money. A much, much better first step would be to contact the Western Front Association for a look-up of the pension records they hold. See...
  13. Chris_Baker

Thomas Cecil Rogers

Thomas's short period of service until being discharged when they found out he had given false details would not have led to payment of a pension. He certainly became eligible for conscription under the 1916 Military Service Act. I believe Terry is likely to be right in that he became Pte...
  14. Chris_Baker

Military hospitals in Birmingham WW1

Re: WW1 hospitals in Birmingham This may be of interest: https://www.1914-1918.net/southerngen.htm
  15. Chris_Baker

Royal Navy WWI

Charles' Nicklin's RAF service record is held at the National Archives. It is not online. You would be advised not to hand over money to Forces War Records as they do not have it. Here is the reference: AIR 79/2133/237113
  16. Chris_Baker

WW1 - A family information request...

Adam, you may have seen that there are four men named as Benjamin Pollard who appear in the index to the WW1 campaign medals, and two more if we include men with middle initials. If your Benjamin went overseas (and assuming he served under his correct name), he will be one of them. Are you sure...
  17. Chris_Baker

Friends of the Centre for First World War Studies

I am not sure how "alive" the Friends or even the Centre is. Up to about two years ago it was a thriving and very active community, but since then two or three very prominent members of the university staff who were the main drivers of it have either retired or moved elsewhere. A similar thing...
  18. Chris_Baker

Ww1 hospital

Camiers is next to Etaples. Many of the men who died in the base camp or hospital there are buried in the huge Etaples cemetery. We do not have a War Office - it has long been called the Ministry of Defence - and they do not hold records that will help. You will be wasting a stamp! And, sad to...
  19. Chris_Baker

A Promise kept to a Fallen Soldier 100 years on

The thing in his pocket is likely to be his paybook. Every man had to keep it there. It was used for issuing his pay, but also carried his vital details - name, number, next of kin, etc. The paybook was used by burial parties to assist in the identification of the man. The photos are super...
  20. Chris_Baker

Pte Harry Cooke, No. 36462 Royal Warwickshire Regt. Honourable discharge

Pam The Veterans Agency, as mentioned above, will not be able to help. They have no records of men discharged before 1921. Being discharged as he was, Harry will have been granted a disablement pension, even if only for a while. This would be your best bet...
Back