• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. P

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

if you enlarge the photo I think that the serviceman crossing with a lady is an American army private tha building extreme left is a bomb site and the new downspout is to maintain the integrity for getting rid of next doors roof
  2. P

The Abbey St Thomas's Grammar/secondary Erdington

Its been some time since I last added info to this subject. My researches have since produced more facts about St Thomas's RC Sec Mod. Firstly, my thanks to Mrs Pat Badger, school sec at the primary school for her invaluable help. The Sec Mod building was begun in 1936. 1940 onwards the school...
  3. P

Downed German aircraft

I spent the first 20 years of my married life in Smethwick and left there 30 years ago so my memory is not t0o reliable but I can pinpoint some areas of bomb damage. Corner of Lewisham Road and Oxford Road, houses missing, was used as Evered Co Ltd car park for many years also going up Oxford...
  4. P

Street furniture

In the Bull Yard, Coventry, a phone box has been adapted to house a ATM machine.
  5. P

Hello All. Before my meeting with the Abbey cemetery manager, I spent some time in Erdington library hoping that there would be some mention of St Th0mas's R C S M school in their local studies section. Sadly there was nothing but I think it would be time well spent to see what is in the new...
  6. P

I hope this works, if it does, I will send info on each picture. Perry
  7. P

Thank you Frances. At the moment I am having problems getting the photos onto the Forum page but will keep on trying. Perry
  8. P

Hello NZFrances, Today,Tuesday, I went back to the Abbey, Erdington to speak to the cemetery manager, Mrs Badger. Mrs Badger kindly showed me to the last resting place of Miss Hyland and Miss Rose. I have taken a photo of the grave site but, sadly, there is no headstone. I can only assume that...
  9. P

Your photo of a 'young gel' is not how I remember Miss Hyland. I first met as an eleven year old and she appeared to me to be ancient! I remember her as short and slim elderly person son I am sorry I cannot help with the identity of the lady.
  10. P

Hello Frances Your query has opened up for me a solution to a query that has bothered me for years, but first details that I have discovered about Miss Hyland. I contacted the manager of the Abbey cemetery and she provided me with the following information. Miss Mary Teresa Hyland aged 84 was...
  11. P

Hello Frances, I am so pleased to hear from someone even remotely connected with my old school. Miss Hyland taught in the secondary modern school. She and Mr Doughty taught the A stream. As I was in the B stream, Miss Hyland never had the problem of me in her class. Sorry to hear that you...
  12. P

Sutton Coldfield to Stirling Motorail Car Sleeper

Yes it was Sutton Coldfield. I travelled to Edinburgh in Spring 1959 from New Street to Edinburgh (I think on a Friday night) with the South Birmingham L.S.C. We left New Street at 11.15pm and arrived at Edinburgh (Haymarket) at about 06.00am. Ushered onto a coach for our first days shed...
  13. P

Icknield St School

Re the Hot Air Balloon Tragedy. I watched the entire event from the roof of Aston University. It came down beside the canal at Saltley landing on the towpath. Put me right off hot air balloons. Dreadful event.
  14. P

What was in the B.C.T. Conductors Black Box

When my father was a conductor on the BCT (1946-1952), the waybill stayed with the conductor. It carried details of all tickets sold by him on that shift. He could not go home until he had counted all the cash taken and it had to tally with the number of tickets sold. Any shortfall came out of...
  15. P

Auxiliary Fire Service

My Uncle, Norman Felton, was a member of the AFS when he worked at KYNOCKS at Witton, Birmingham. I remember him taking part in inter-area PUMP competitions from time to time. Each pump team had to detach trailer pump from tender, set up ready to use hoses and aim hose water jet at a wooden...
  16. P

Air raid shelters

Nice to see the photo of the air raid shelter in College Road, that was one of the ones I had in mind, thank you Dave M. One thing that I omitted from my original post was that that it would be important to get these sites photographed.
  17. P

Air raid shelters

I wonder if there is a list of extant brick built public air raid shelters the same as the list of WW2 pill boxes which I believe are considered as listed buildings. There must be hundreds of public shelters which have been simply buried under tons of soul rather that go to the cost of knocking...
Back