• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. M

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

Thanks Lady P. I assumed it was open because they don't seem to be doing the online lectures they started during lockdown.
  2. M

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

I thought it had been open recently? I don't live in Birmingham now, so perhaps misunderstood.
  3. M

Marshall & Snelgrove

I don't think I ever went there, but wish I had.
  4. M

Marshall & Snelgrove

How interesting. The 'uptairs,downstairs' type of division is a bit shocking.
  5. M

Saltley Secondary School

It sounds fabulous.
  6. M

Living by Henry Green

I read it a long time ago, when books like this were available in public libraries.
  7. M

Crossroads programme

There's a very short clip here https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a42131869/helena-bonham-carter-nolly-first-look/
  8. M

Saltley Secondary School

Was it Miss Griffiths, perhaps?
  9. M

Saltley Secondary School

Mr King was still there in 1965 when I started, and I remember making lino cuts with him.
  10. M

Saltley Secondary School

Who could forget Mr Chippendale and Mr Gillette?
  11. M

Saltley Secondary School

Miss Windsor was one of my favourite teachers.
  12. M

Saltley Secondary School

Mr Cherry didn't teach me but I knew him. He married Miss Windsor and they had two boys, I think.
  13. M

W.H. Price Ltd Tool Hire

Maisie was another name my cousin used to mention. I can't remember when Audrey retired, but probably in the 1980s. At her funeral several years ago I met Emily (I think it was Emily).
  14. M

W.H. Price Ltd Tool Hire

My father's cousin used to work there, if I've got the right place. Her name was Audrey and she worked with Iris, Olga and Emily. She used to talk about Mr Tim (that was how he was known). There was also Reuben.
  15. M

Sweets

The 1920s one is very smart. I remember chocolate smoking sets (!) licorice pipes, and the seaside novelties. I had a sweet shop and a Post Office!!
  16. M

The Peace Centre

That's how I remember it.
  17. M

The Peace Centre

They look very seventies, don't they?
  18. M

The Peace Centre

Yes, heady days!
  19. M

Woolworths Memories

I remeber the Bull Ring one having a soda fountain, where you could have a milkshake in the sort of glass that you don't see now, and the one in New Street having (I think) three floors.
Back