• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Who remembers Dave Macken and his white office carpet. He'd send for you and watch you squirm as you worked frantically to wipe all the oil off the soles of your shoes before you stepped onto it. I didn't dream this did I?
  2. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Ron, I remember Harry Hart and Ron Hart very well, including a very moving experience when everyone paid their respects to Harry when he was driven past Hardy's on the day of his funeral. I remember Peter Wheeler and Roy(?) Howells in Sales and also an older guy - George Kelsall (?). He was...
  3. Johnny Matthews

School Photos

Hi Hawkmoon. I just came across your post from 2008 featuring photo of Johnson Road mom's visiting Midland Counties Dairy. This is of great interest to me as my Mom was born and grew up in Johnson Road so my gran might be on the photo. Unfortunately, I can't open the photo on your original post...
  4. Johnny Matthews

Wilkinson & Riddell Ltd, drapers Bull Street & Temple Row

I started my working life at Wilkinson & Riddell aged 15 back in April 1960 as a Trainee Salesman. I remember Maurice and Tony (sales), Norman (stores), Jenny (packer?), Annie Austin (packer?) and Albert, the dear old fella who used to operate the goods lift. I was only there for 3 months but...
  5. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Les You were just a bit of a kid when I last saw you. How time flies. Hope you are enjoying your retirement. PS You were a decent footballer young man!
  6. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Good to hear from you Jim, I trust you are well. I obviously remember dear old Joe Russon very well. I can see him now, licking his fingers and flicking the pages over on his latest computer print out at a rate of knots. What are you up to these days?
  7. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I am still in regular touch with Johnny Aston and remember Carol Rafferty well - especially from the HS Children's Pantomime in 1980 which she produced, directed and starred in. Carol achieved the incredible feat of persuading Derek Morgan and myself (amongst others) to dress up as fairies and...
  8. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Astonian. I am still in touch with Johnny Aston. He now lives in Great Barr. He's not online but I will mention you to him and get back.
  9. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Astonian I am still in touch with Johnny Aston. He now lives in Great Barr. He isn't online but I will mention you to him and get back.
  10. Johnny Matthews

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Hi Andy Just to let you know Aunt Nell sends her love.
  11. Johnny Matthews

We would catch 3 buses to get from Erdington to Seneles Park over Quinton way to play on a heap of mud. Happy days
  12. Johnny Matthews

Your memory is spot on and indeed it was Dave Morgan with the tash. I remember Graham - he left to work at Concentric in Sutton Coldfield if my memory serves me right. I too bought loads of stuff at Hardy's including overcoats, joints of meat and rubber toys (for my kids!) I will be seeing...
  13. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I don't think Joe was married when I left Hardy's. I remember all the others. Used to play bridge with Jimmy, Tony Harrison (he worked at Hardy's but emigrated to Canada early 80's) and Pete Revett (he may have moved on from Hardy's by the time you arrived)
  14. Johnny Matthews

Yes, I had some serious run-ins with Derek when I became his boss. Having said that, socially he was great company. I remember his brother with the Mexican tash. I certainly do remember Dennis the setter. Maureen, John and Derek (Turner) were on my team in Customer Liaison/Production Control...
  15. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I became Materials Control Manager in 1978, so Sylvia would have been on my team then - and the one and only Derek Morgan. I remember Peter Fearn arriving at Hardys - I think I was Customer Services Manager at that time. I recall Allan Jones - he was a Works Superintendent promoted by Dave...
  16. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Tommy Sheerin was a top man. Was he still doing ok in 1990? By the way, my late mother used to correspond with your sister regularly when she and Bob were in Port Elizabeth. Mom really appreciated the interest that your sister took in her and liked her very much. Amongst the mementoes Mom left...
  17. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Andy I knew Phil Dawe very well - he's older than me so retired for sometime I should think. I recall he was commuting to Hardy's from Gloucestershire for many years. Did you know Joe Cahill? Cheers Johnny
  18. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Hi Andy It is indeed a small world. I last saw Bob more than 20 years ago but I still visit my lovely Aunt Nell at her nursing home. She is now in her 95th year, virtually blind and no longer able to walk but she still has a twinkle in her eye and we have a few laughs. Arthur died in the early...
  19. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

Then do please give him my best regards. I worked alongside Fred for a long time. Can't you get him on the Forum? Johnny
  20. Johnny Matthews

Hardy Spicers Ltd

I started at Hardy Spicer in 1970 as a progress chaser (they called us 'logistics engineers') I remember some great characters such as Ben Fulwell who I think was an assemby foreman. He was a massive guy, ex- guardsman or similar. He used to march around bellowing out his instructions but...
Back