• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. SteveD

yates and sons

Re: Yates & Son Hi Sylvia, I note that this is a very old post but also note you are still contributing to the forum. My great grandmother was also a spoon and fork polisher who lived in Manchester Street. Her name was Annie Donoughue according to my granddad's birth certificate. I can not find...
  2. SteveD

France family

Hi, very old post I note but interesting to note that John (Jack) and Winnie were my great Uncle and Aunt.
  3. SteveD

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

Found another famous birth from the Sorrento Maternity Hospital. John Taylor from Duran Duran. https://www.ibismay.com/DD/johnbio.htm
  4. SteveD

Sorrento Hospital Nursing Home

Hi Mary, my son in laws mother was born at Sorrento. We went there last night and it is now a lovely retirement home. If you go to this link you will see a very sad image of a once admired institution :( https://flickr.com/photos/danek/116583676/ Regards Steve.
  5. SteveD

HMS Dasher

My uncle Sydney Thomas Donoghue, grew up in Aston before he moved to Derwent Grove Stirchley. He was killed when HMS Dasher sunk off the Scottish Coast near Ardrossan on 27 March 1943. Even until they died, my grandparents knew very little as the incident was classified as a military secret...
  6. SteveD

Royal Warwicks 1st July 1916

Terry, thank you very much for all of the info. I am going to arrange a family get together to talk them through it. I noted that a travel company called Travelsphere do a 4 day conducted coach trip to the battlefields including a visit to the Tiepval memorial. ...Steve.
  7. SteveD

Terry and Bill, thanks for the info and material, would love to see the map Terry...
  8. SteveD

Thanks Bill I have been on the CWWG site before but never came across that section. i have now discovered his war medals and have also ordered the photo of his memorial :)
  9. SteveD

Hi Fergie, researching my wife's family (Hammond). Her grandfather was William Henry Hammond of Asylum Road Aston. He too was in the 11th Battalion, he died in the Battle of the Somme during Battle Albert in a fight in Trones Wood on 10th July 1916!. My wifes father Reginald was 18 months old at...
  10. SteveD

Hammond Family, Gladstone Place Asylum Rd

Hi, trying to trace my wife Linda's father's family. Her Father Reginald Hammond born 1915 died 1980. Lived and born at - 4 back 15 Asylum Road Reg's parents Ellen Hammond nee Edwards William Henry Hammond William was killed at the Battle of the Somme in 1916 when Reg was...
Back