• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Lynda Harvey

Vintage TV

Has anyone come across this channel? Its on 369 on Sky as called Vintage TV.:cool: I'm not a big pop music fan, although I will sometimes listen while I'm working in the morning. My sister put me on to this channel as it plays music from the different decades whilst showing news clips from that...
  2. Lynda Harvey

Saying : 'a Sooner'

When I was little and was perhaps ' playing up ' as they used to say, Mom would call me a ' sooner .' Where on earth did that come from. You know I never heard a bad word come from my Moms mouth. I wish I could say the same. Lynda:)
  3. Lynda Harvey

E.H. Holden and sons Digbeth

Only worked for them for a couple of years back in the sixties. Did the wages and also manned the telephones for a period of time. A few good memories of my time there. Lynda
  4. Lynda Harvey

PC to TV

Hey you lovely lot out there with more brain than me? I'm trying to attach the pc to to the tv, and so far have only been able to get a great picture, but the only sound we can get is from the computer. We have several HDMI sockets in the back of the tv, and at the moment have just attached the...
  5. Lynda Harvey

Sunday School.

Do you remember the days when we went to Sunday School every week? Dave and I were discussing the times when we used to be made to go every sunday afternoon. He said he and his sister used to trudge off every Sunday just so his Mom and Dad could have some free time. He said they hated it! He...
  6. Lynda Harvey

Any Hope for this Photo?

Would someone please try to help with this photo please? Lynda:)
  7. Lynda Harvey

During the war........

Looking at Alf's thread reminded me of my own experiences. I read on another forum about how the Channel Islanders capitulated without much resistance. When the second world war broke out Dad was one of the reserves, so was immediately called up. He didn't speak much about his experiences, but...
  8. Lynda Harvey

Venables/Parker

Know Dad is a Venables and Mom a Parker. Know children who were born in West Bromwich. Can't find christian names or marriage. Looked in birth and marriage indexes on Ancestry. No luck. Any ideas? Lynda :stressed: :)
  9. Lynda Harvey

Adobe Flash Player

I'm using my husbands Compaq lap top and it won't let me load the new version of Adobe Flash player which means I cannot use u tube and many other sites. Our computers are all Vista. I've looked at the trouble shooting with Adobe, but it still won't load. Any body out there who has had the same...
  10. Lynda Harvey

Multiple Photos

I'm not sure if anyone can help me here. My sister has sent me photos all together and I don't know if they can be separated. I would appreciate some help. Lynda:)
  11. Lynda Harvey

Dolls Hospital

Does anyone remember the Dolls Hospital? I think it was on the Lichfield Road on the corner of Victoria Road, but I may be wrong. Many of my dolls went there to have the head put back on , or an arm, poor things. Those were the days when items were mended, not just replaced. Its strange how...
  12. Lynda Harvey

Coronation Celebration Erdington

I came across this photo the other day of the coronation party of my friends and neighbours of Abbey Road and St Thomas Road Erdington. The picture was taken outside of our back garden in Abbey Road on the right. I cannot remember all the names now will try and list some of the families who...
  13. Lynda Harvey

WW2 Royal Warwickshires. How can I discover my Dads Army records?

I'm sure someone will have the info I am seeking, bless you. Dad was in the Royal Warwickshires before the war and was called up when war was declared. He didn't ever say a lot to me about what he did in the war, although I think he ended up in Africa and I know he trained african soldiers out...
  14. Lynda Harvey

Where did this saying come from?

Something that has just come to mind was the saying 'Thats better by a long chalk' Where did that come from? Or was it just a saying in our house? Sure one of you will know it. Lynda on a very cold and windy Wales day.
  15. Lynda Harvey

Worts family probably from ladywood

I received a Death certificate the other day for an Elizabeth Robinson who died in 1893 in Ravenhurst street Almhouses. I feel sure this is my family, except that the informant was an A.M.Wort, saaid to be a neice. I haven't come across that name before. I found a Ann Marie and Thomas in the...
  16. Lynda Harvey

Saltley Street

Anyone know where Saltley Street was? According to the 1841 census that was where my GGGramdmother used to live and yet her children were born in Garrison Lane. Any help out there? Lynda :-\
  17. Lynda Harvey

Linyards

:)Does anyone remember Linyards on six ways Aston? My sister Margaret Harris worked there when she first left school at the end of the forties begining of the fifties. Somewhere else the family speak of is Kinnocks.Does anyone  remember where that was?  Lynda
  18. Lynda Harvey

Robinson Harris Stych

I am researching my paternal grandparents who lived in Vicarage Road around the turn of the 19th century. Would love to find memoribilia of that time. Have been looking at the Aston site which brings back so many memories. Grandand Alfred was a Harris and Nan was a Robinson. Her father was...
  19. Lynda Harvey

A.T.V. at Aston Cross

Does anyone remember the TV studios on Aston Cross when Noel Gordon was in Cross Roads. Also, what was the dinner time program called? Lunchbox I think? I remember hanging around there as a youngster waiting to catch sight of someone famous. Does anyone remember their names? Lynda in Wales
  20. Lynda Harvey

ARIEL ARROW V BUS CONDUCTRESS

Daves Motorbike You were a terrible lad Dave. I hope your Mom gave you a damn good spanking!!!!!!!!! :roll: Oh well, I dare say we were all the same, but not half as bad as some of them today Lynda
Back