• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. edcartermo

Hingeston Street

Looking from Hingeston Street towards the railway goods yard on Pitsford Street.
  2. edcartermo

Darwin Street

Thank you.
  3. edcartermo

Darwin Street

Thank you.
  4. edcartermo

Darwin Street

Does anyone know the name of the Public House that was number 46 Darwin Street in the 1881 Census? Edit: 1858/B. Grove, Darwin Tavern, 46 Darwin street/../../Dix Directory, Possibly this name continued through to 1881?
  5. edcartermo

Mary Street Balsall Heath

Yes, it appears to be so. Kelly's records William Oldham in 1868 at Upper Mary Street; 1873 White's Directory has William Oldham (O & Cooper) Mary Street, Balsall Heath. Above that White's record is Mrs Bethia Oldham, Hightingham place, Upper Mary Street, while Bethia's death certificate records...
  6. edcartermo

Mary Street Balsall Heath

I have details of a death certificate for Bethia Oldham who died at 111 Mary Street, Balsall Heath, in 1877 so the photos and the map are of special interest to me, so thank you everyone. I have not found the number yet on the map, I am wondering if it may be up the passage that appears in the...
  7. edcartermo

Artists Who Painted Birmingham Landscapes

I remember a place just like this opposite the Mint on Ickneild Street near the corner to Hingeston Street. A double fronted premises rammed from floor to ceiling with every conceivable item like tin baths, clothing, roller skates and many a bike like John's.
  8. edcartermo

J R Gaunt of Birmingham

As Pedrocuts post shows Gaunts address was Warstone Parade Works. About 1980 I had a small workshop in the Quarter and was doing some enamelling. A friend who was working on stripping out old premises prior to demolition invited me to go and look at an old factory that he was working on where...
  9. edcartermo

Thank you for introducing me to George Busby, I should like to see more of his lively characterful works.
  10. edcartermo

Birmingham Street Name Origins

A Google search for "Grindlestone Lane" threw up this thread, but a search within this thread draws a blank so I hope that my post here is not in the wrong place. I had never heard of the name "Grindlestone" or "Grindstone Lane" until I looked at the Enumeration District 8 page of the 1841...
  11. edcartermo

Lucky indeed, characterful images. Thanks for sharing.
  12. edcartermo

Old street pics..

Nice pic. Wonder what the bunting was for -- something Royal?
  13. edcartermo

John "Hammer" Lane

I too thought "Hammer" was a reference to his fists. I saw a reference to him likened to a "jackhammer", so it may be a bit of both. I had looked on Ancestry for family info but had taken too literally that he was born in Birmingham. No wonder the Black Country folks get miffed with us Brummies.
  14. edcartermo

St Mary's Chapel Whittall Street

Re: st marys chapel loveday st I asked if there were precedents for building over graveyards and you have provided one, Astoness. The link to the Birmingham Mail article is fascinating not least for the film of the journey along Broad Street and Easy Row. Easy Row has merged into greyness in...
  15. edcartermo

Re: st marys chapel loveday st Yes, they carparked RichardIII, but I would imagine not knowingly. No other remains were found so perhaps the ground was properly deconsecrated for other purposes?
  16. edcartermo

Re: st marys chapel loveday st I am amazed that you both think it conceivable that a road might have been built over a graveyard! Are there precedents to this sort of thing?
  17. edcartermo

John "Hammer" Lane

There was a James Lane, a well known Birmingham pugilist, who may have been a relative of the more famous John "Hammer" Lane but was of a different character altogether. James, who had appropriated the nom de ring "Hammer", appears in the Birmingham Post of 01 Oct 1886 on a charge of brutal...
  18. edcartermo

John "Hammer" Lane

Evening Despatch 19 Aug 1915
  19. edcartermo

Made the mistake of clicking onto this thread earlier and have now spent almost the whole morning on it! Absolutely fascinating, loved every minute of it, thanks to all the contributors -- now I've got to get some housework done before my Missus gets back! Best forum on the web.
  20. edcartermo

Maud Place, Garrison Lane

Hi Carl, It's often difficult to place exact addresses, the only way it can often be done is to work out approximately from trade or postal directories. the 1890 Kelley's shows A Millikan & Co, ironfounders at 446, then Mre sarah Russell, shopkeeper and Alex McKnight, varnishmaker at 448, then...
Back