• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. F

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

Definitely - it would mean very little without the people involved. I know that the complete archive (including Payroll etc) is being cared for by either the museum service or the university. In time, they ought to be accessible in some form. Graham
  2. F

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

Nice pic of the stamp battery there Charlie. Yes everybody do try and get a visit in this year. Graham
  3. F

The Brummie for Lunch?

Dear All, That was a very fine bottle I took the cap off! A real education for an outsider in how real life was. It looks like 'dinner' wins by a short head, though 'cog-noggers' gets an honourable mention. Whatever you're eating next, enjoy it. Thanks all round Graham
  4. F

The Brummie for Lunch?

Hello All, This should be a very easy one to answer - what, if there is one, is the traditional word for lunch please? Often it is of course dinner; in southeast England it can be 'snap', in the northeast 'bait' - how about in the middle? Thanks Graham
  5. F

A.T. Jones (Ring maker) address please?

A thank you to everyone for their input - question answered within hours. Central Library would have got there, but not for another day+ Enjoy the rest of your Easter. Graham
  6. F

Postcard image from the Jewellery Quarter (Postie - you would be justified in removing this cross-posting; it's greedy, but both forums seemed right - and I would like to know the answer) Please can anyone tell me where this is? The sign in the foreground is A.T. Jones - Ring Maker & ...
  7. F

Hello Everyone, Attached is an image from a postcard of the Jewellery Quarter. Does anybody know where it is please? The sign in the foreground is A. T. Jones - Ring Maker & ???. In the distance are the premises of ?ystex. On a wider point, how many postcards of JQ factories have been seen...
  8. F

J.W. EVANS (jewellery quarter)

Thank you Lyn! The staff photos are quite well known, but I've not seen that exterior before. It's a seriously interesting picture, very early; the buildings are hardly changed from when just houses. Must go and check about J G Styles. Good wishes. Graham
  9. F

J.W. EVANS (jewellery quarter)

Hello Everyone, I'm a new member who's hoping to learn from your experiences. Without wishing anyone being snowed under, it would be very good if people did make themselves known. There must be quite a few people out there with memories of daily life at J.W. Evans and I really hope that these...
Back