• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Harrisons Ltd Bradford St. Birmingham. Curtain rail Manufacturers.

On the map, what’s named the Globe Works belonged to Thomas Haddon and Stokes when I worked at Harrisons from 1966- 1971. The area named Brass works and the Basket works became Harrisons toolroom, design office, maintenance shop. I wonder if that area was part of Harrisons when the map was...
  2. B

One side of Harrisons main building was situated on the corner of Bradford St and Birchall St and the other side was on the corner of Bradford St and Lombard St. The building extended back to Cheapside. The main building has been converted to luxury apartments. In a building on the opposite...
  3. B

SIXPENNY HOSPITAL FUND

So its still in existance then?. I used to pay into it in the mid 60s, most workers did then. It was a helpfull fund in those days if you had to spend time in hospital.
  4. B

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

I would never eat butter or cheese on a sandwich they made me feel nauseous. Looking back I think it was proberly the amount my Mother put on the bread. When butter and cheese came of rationing I think my parents made up for lost time. I only started eating butter and cheese sandwich about five...
  5. B

Vinegar Salad

Our Sunday tea was often tinned fruit with condensed milk followed by cucumber and onion in vinegar with salad. I used to love warm just cooked beetroot on buttered crusty bread.
  6. B

Before The War

I often wonder whether you could buy curry powder, pasta, lager or pizza anywhere in Britain before the last war I can remember in the early 60s when larger and lime was all the rage.
  7. B

Harrisons Bradford Street

Harrisons Birmingham, the main entrance to the offices in Bradford street.
  8. B

Hi, I had a walk up Bradford street a couple of months ago, all the buildings from the pub on the corner of Bradford street back towards the city centre have been demolished. By a massive coincidence I bought a copy of the Birmingham Mail the same day and there was an article about the...
  9. B

Hi I had a walk up Bradford Street a few months ago, all the buildings from the pub towards the city centre on that side of the street have been demolished. By a massive coincidence I bought a copy of the Evening Mail the same day and there was a article about the redevelopment of the Harrison...
  10. B

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

Hi I had a email from a detective at Ladywood police station last year about Marccuson. He contacted me because of a reply I posted on this site. I'm surprised Marccuson is still alive. Regards Mike h e contacted
  11. B

Well , You did well to remember Joeseph Lizowskis name. I remember Him as a charge hand toolmaker . Sid used to send me out every for 10 gold leaf Ciggarets. There was a Londoner who was wheellchair bound working on the bench at the time.I cant remember his name. It was amazing how big...
  12. B

Hi I was a toolroom apprentice at Harrisons from 1966 to 1971. Jack Downing a grinder was the first apprentice instructor in the new training school , which was the Green street side of the toolroom. Sid Rainsford was the toolroom foreman & the other apprentices that started with me were Martin...
  13. B

Ilmington road school, Weoley castle

I went to Ilmington Road school from 1962 /66 Small was the head master. Teachers I remember were Elder as mad as they come, drove racing cars, Emery, Oliver, Prothero, Gale, Goss a mouthy welsh man, Marcasson & George? the caretaker. I recall the production of Oliver Which Prothero had a big...
Back