• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Marc

Hare and Hounds, Kingstanding

I used to find the majority of the pipe pieces around the edges of the bowling green but there were others scattered all around the large gardens. I'm talking about hundreds of different pipe bowls and stems, with some of the bowls being quite ornate and some shaped like faces. I never found a...
  2. Marc

Edit ...Sorry Viv, you said 1974 which is about right. I was a mere 9 years of age haha
  3. Marc

So there is a Los Angeles link. I'm sure the man I spoke to had links or even worked for the department at some stage. We may never know, but amazing to recall that night. Were you there with them Viv when they came into to the pub? I know my Mother Joanne was most excited to welcome them over...
  4. Marc

Hey Viv, we had to use Radio Rentals to hire our first enormous Colour Tv inside a huge wooden sliding door piece of furniture with a long cable on the remote control hehe. Atlantic Road to me at that time was where the posh people lived Viv. I used to have a schoolmate who lived there, she...
  5. Marc

For anyone interested and for future posterity, here a layout guide to when I lived at the pub. I also remember that the Bungalow next door always had a beautiful back garden, unlike ours which was huge and difficult to maintain especially as we didn't even have a law mower. I do recall...
  6. Marc

Does anyone remember a girl called Paula who also had a younger sister who lived in the houses backing onto the rear of the pub and the bowling green? I can't remember if she went to Kingsthorne or not. She would be 50 something now.
  7. Marc

We may even have some photos somewhere of their visit. I'm sure I've seen one or two in the family vaults.
  8. Marc

I must have known your Mom Viv, I used to go into that shop all the time, spending my Dads stash of silver 5 pences and sixpenses. Can you remeber the LAPD link? The one gentleman gave me an LAPD tie bar which I still have and which I wore throughout my service as a Policeman.
  9. Marc

Oh my Vivienne, I remember than night quite well, it was the first time I had ever met real true life Americans lol. They were so warm and friendly and they even had plenty of time to talk to us young scamps :0) We were sitting in the Bar on the right hand side as you would enter the pub. They...
  10. Marc

Griffins Greengrocers, Mr Sparrow Newtown Row, Burlington Street

It's been a long time since I saw this thread and sadly my Mother passed a few years ago now and she is deeply missed. Mum told me that that my Gran, Cassandra Whitton / Beeston had an affair with a Mr Sparrow and she believes that she was the end result as my Mothers other Sisters had a...
  11. Marc

Its great! I saved this image from somewhere a long time ago.
  12. Marc

I'm really letting my memories fly now lol, perhaps as a tribute to my old and much loved home. Does anyone else rember the official opening of the petrol station near to the circle. An ITV celebrity opened it, I can see his face but for the life of me I can't remember his name. I remember...
  13. Marc

Speaking of the old cottages, my first love if you could call it that was with Samantha Goodman who used to live in the cottage next door. The house itself always smelt lovely, they used to burn incense sticks and I remember her Mom and Dads bedroom was way up in the loft area. The paper shop...
  14. Marc

Hi Vivienne, yes I went to Cranbourne road. I left aged 16 so that would be 1982. I started Nursery I think it was at cranbourne Road. The was a small building near the entrance and the school itself was split in two halves I think. I attended both halves but not sure of my age then lol Mr...
  15. Marc

I've just found these two images from a council planning application. The one photo shows a recent view overlooking the bowling green. https://connect.birmingham.public-i.tv/document/SITE_VISIT_Former_Hare_and_Hounds_PH__Kingstanding_Road__Kingstanding__B44_9TG.pdf
  16. Marc

The late Charlie Williams, I rember now.
  17. Marc

I'm still in shock and don't even think I can bring myself round to visiting just yet. So many fond memories there I could write a book. What a shame... I know the Pub became known for less savoury dealings in its latter years but memories were all good, when the pub thrived with Bingo in the...
  18. Marc

Loving your Avatar, sparks, funny how I was thinking about the King Kong visit only the other day and there he is in all his glory :0)
  19. Marc

Hi Lyn, thanks for your reply, and everyone elses btw :0) I don't recall a tunnel as such Lynn, well at least not one that was open when we lived there. You could get out to the main lower level through the cellar that lead to the old downstairs bar / serving area that was boarded up. Beyond...
  20. Marc

It's ok, I've found a news article. I'm gutted, I grew up in that pub until I was 16 and I have so many fond memories of living there. I know it was earmarked for possible demolition but to see my old home going up in flames like this is just heartbreaking.
Back