• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Di.Poppitt

Google Ebooks

The link takes you to Google ebooks for an interesting look at a Birmingham long gone. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QKlfAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA47&dq=A+Castle+in+Warstone+Lane+Birmingham&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL7ZTu
  2. Di.Poppitt

We Good.... We No shoot

We Good We No shoot The Christmas Truce at Plugstreet Wood in 1914. The infamous Ploegseert Wood where our lads played football with their enemies on Christmas day 1914, now apparently marked with a simple wooden cross on the edge of a field to mark the place where they played. The Royal...
  3. Di.Poppitt

FamilySearch

I have searched on FamilySearch since the Millenium but now the website has been reorganised I need to register again. I have to insert letters from the ones shown, problem is that they aren't there, just that annoying little red cross. Help please anyone!!
  4. Di.Poppitt

Hotmail

Since Outlook have taken over Hotmail I am having a problem accessing my Contacts, now called People. It means I have virtually lost my address book, I hope it is a blip, but maybe someone can help, please.
  5. Di.Poppitt

Hilli & Kit

A neighbours cat had her kittens in our barn, when she decided to move her family she left one behind. Our little Hillie was still a very young dog, she has always loved every other dog together with people, so when she spotted a tiny little kitten, which we had started to feed, she carried it...
  6. Di.Poppitt

Sally

Our daughter Sally came home from New Zealand when she was given a late entry to run in the London Marathon. She took it very seriously and had trained and paid a personal trainer to give her a programme of how far and when to run, what to eat - and when. She was here for a week before the 22nd...
  7. Di.Poppitt

Shoe Repair

This is a bit light weight after reading of jabs for swine flu. However I digress, I was in town today walking toward the shoe repairer with my winter boots under my arm. I have always walked one side of a heel down and suddenly I could see my dad in his shed with three or four lasts on his...
  8. Di.Poppitt

Temperance Societies, Missions and Chapels

British History on line site has a section for Missions, Chapels, Temperance societies and more. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22981#s33
  9. Di.Poppitt

Hillie Poppitt

She is such a little sweetheart.
  10. Di.Poppitt

Post Codes

Appropo to something I read on the Forum recently, regarding Post Codes in Birmingham. A member was given the existing PC of an old address to help put it into the right area. A question was raised saying that there were no post codes in the early years in Birmingham. In fact we have always...
  11. Di.Poppitt

Sally

Our daughter Sally, celebrating, in advance, her birthday and wearing a vintage silk and lace frock. It is our birthday present to her, although she found it herself in Auckland, NZ where she lives.
  12. Di.Poppitt

Who Do You Think You Are

What a good programme tonight, I just caught it by chance. One of the best I think.
  13. Di.Poppitt

Our Hillie

She is our baby, but she is a tough little girl. The vet reckons she is just about perfect, we agree of course.:)
  14. Di.Poppitt

Meet at Dawn Unarmed

A new book Meet at Dawn Unarmed written by Andrew Hamilton and Published by Dene's Publishing, is the result of a diary written in 1914/15 by a member of the Warwickshire Regiment, being found by his grandson. The soldier was a Devonshire man who joined the Warwicks. The diary recounts the 1914...
  15. Di.Poppitt

Tip on searching the IGI

It has occured to me that perhaps it isn't generally known that once a birth or christening has been found on the IGI, by clicking on the Batch number of that known birth or baptism you will be taken to a clear page with the number you have clicked on in place. Fill in surname, country, and...
  16. Di.Poppitt

Snow Hill

On the front page of the enumerators Census book they had to write the names of the Roads they were enumerating. I often have a look as it is sometimes a help in finding a street or road. This is district 14 of St Georges Parish, this man had no idea how interesting I found his description...
  17. Di.Poppitt

Johnny Ray

I've just been hanging around UTube listening to Johnny Ray, teks me back;) Not sure if I can do this, hang about Lets give it a go. Sorry I am going to have to ask one of you guys how to transfer it from UTube
  18. Di.Poppitt

Old Court Houses

A picture of a court in Camp Hill. The front houses built in 1831. There was a court very similar to this in Witton. Courtesy of the Phyllis Nicklin Archive.
  19. Di.Poppitt

Phyllis Nicklin Photograph Collection

https://62.105.110.193/search/results.bhtml?collection_id=10032 The link is to the collection which disappeared from the web. Phyllis Nicklin was a tutor at the university, she photographed Birmingham before she died at a young age. Her 450 slides disappeared from the web, Keith Berry had...
  20. Di.Poppitt

Barr & Aston Local Hisrory Society

I have been contacted by Peter Allen, who read of my family connections to Hamstead. He is writing the history of Hamstead Colliery, and tells me there is a local history society in Great Barr.
Back