• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. Di.Poppitt

I Wonder What She's Thinking?

I hope Alice has a lovely long time with you Alberta. I feel such a whimp I can't think Hillie's name without blubbing. Like you Alan and I know lots more of us on the Forum, have lovely memories of our faithful animals. We've had horses too and when they go it is traumatic, but of them all...
  2. Di.Poppitt

I Wonder What She's Thinking?

I am so sorry to hear that Alice has a tumour, something we all dread the loss of our lovely pets. We lost our Hillie a few days before Christmas, I don't think I have ever cried so much, I had to get up in the night because I was sobbing and Brian was awake with me. She was full of tumours but...
  3. Di.Poppitt

Facades

Yes Eric, I well remember that when Birmingham council announced the PO was to be demolished the roar that went up could be heard in Timbucktu. Lovely old building still looking proud.
  4. Di.Poppitt

William Tasker

Lyn, the Civil Reg shows he was registered in Aston Sept quarter 1898. Perhaps Aston Church, my gt grandmother was buried in Warstone Lane when she lived in Bordesley. No body said it would be easy did they!!!
  5. Di.Poppitt

1st touch on a Computer

My first touch was in 2000 with Millenium Edition, there was a lot of computer to find room for in the study, everything housed separately. I stayed with it until 4 or maybe 5 years ago. Now my trusty little red Laptop and Windows 7 are still going well. Somewhere on this Forum are, or maybe...
  6. Di.Poppitt

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Love the holly.
  7. Di.Poppitt

Yes Lyn all of Fentham Road is still standing. The neighbours we had were all much older than us and they were wonderful, they filled buckets, tubs, saucepans, so that I had water. Nappies were a big problem for a couple of days. We had a corner shop right opposite and the Witton news operated...
  8. Di.Poppitt

What a cracking photo Dave, the BBQ and the summer chairs and table really do bring a smile don't they.
  9. Di.Poppitt

'62/3 was another memorable winter for me. It was to be the last we spent in Birmingham. Our daughter was born in August and 3 weeks later Brian went off to rejoin the R.A.F. The snow started in December and the flat above ours in Fentham Road in Witton was empty. The first frost saw its water...
  10. Di.Poppitt

I love the quote on your posts Alan, so true!!
  11. Di.Poppitt

I was a bit of a whimp I think, I was usually the first to go in when my feet were so cold I wanted to cry. I don't remember any ointment, I guess I had to suffer the awful itching. I have, over the years since, loved walking in the snow on those lovely sunny dry cold days, well wrapped up...
  12. Di.Poppitt

My mother had just given birth to my sister, so a fire in her bedroom was a must and I guess they felt sorry for me in the cold. The reason I was out fetching bread was that Mom was in bed still, 2 weeks rest was the rule then. Wellies and chilblaines went together didn't they.
  13. Di.Poppitt

In Witton the men shoveled the snow onto the edge of the pavements so that being 9 I couldn't see over the top of the wall. School was abandoned for a while and my memory is of cold feet in rubber wellies, and fires in the bedrooms for the first and last time. Dad walked to the Dunlop and home...
  14. Di.Poppitt

Hamstead Colliery

That little boy was my cousin's son. I was 16 at the time and it was very hard to come to terms with it. But he drowned in the Foredraught not the Reservoir, which was railed in. The land flooded and he slipped in and couldn't get out. I haven't found the map that shows a colliery in...
  15. Di.Poppitt

Love the snow on the Forum, thank you guys.
  16. Di.Poppitt

Passages, Alleyways Gulletts and Snickets of Old Brum

Pullars of Perth, on the right of Days, were cleaners 'par excellance'. My mother in law sent Pop's white starched collars to Scotland once they closed that shop. They were packed in a horseshoe shaped box, back and forward they went until he died in the mid 80's. Days also holds memories, a...
  17. Di.Poppitt

Birchfield Road Perry Barr

Post 458 shows the number 3 tram, the 3x ran from Witton into town. If trams travelled along Aston Lane maybe 3 was on its way to Villa Park?
  18. Di.Poppitt

The tram lines had a lot to answer for, how many cyclists got their front wheels stuck in them. But on a dark foggy night, or even day when the fog was at its worst, how many of us followed them to get us home when the bus's wern't running.
  19. Di.Poppitt

Phil the land in Normandy road where the cricket match was being played is, on the later map, interestingly still green. How has that happened when so much land of inner cities has been used for housing? The traffic jam on Birchfield Road shows only one half of the picture. We lived in...
  20. Di.Poppitt

The Blitz

My husbands home was hit by an incendary bomb, it went straight through the bathroom on the corner of the upstairs, a bit of luck really or the house would have been on fire. It was in Amberley Grove in Witton. The people who own the house now will have no idea. What was part of our lives is now...
Back