• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. S

King Edwards Grammar School Camp Hill

In my time at Camp Hill, Kings Heath, 1966-71 the two covered fives courts were always used at break & dinner times for recreational use, played a lot myself, using tennis balls. There were, I can confirm as above, that there were inter-house fives games, with gloves and proper hard...
  2. S

My memory told me that when I started, Polly was Dep Head, then Geoff Sanders took over.. Might be wrong... He did take some maths lessons in my 4th & fifth years, I think, might have been 3rd & 4th, alongside Dan Matthews, who between them, got me a pass at O level... What a struggle.. Blooming...
  3. S

My time there was 1966-71, Polly was Dep. Head then; he taught my dad pre-war...when we went for the open day before I was accepted, we met him, and my Dad was 'surprised' to see him still teaching - he had a chat, and there was a possibility that Polly remembered him, and his brother, who was...
  4. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

Thanks - I've found another thread that shows that prior to the AFS > NFS reorganisation that there was an HQ at Trafalgar Road in Mosely, for 5 division, but there is no note about the HQs once the reorganisation happened and the divisions had letters, not numbers, but I guess that it would...
  5. S

AFS/NFS Information from the Fire Service "Squirt" Magazine.

HI, my mum was in the HQ staff of B division in 1945 - would this have been in Trafalgar Road, Mosely, as noted for HQ for '5' division? She lived not far from there, so assuming..Your list for NFS doesn't show a HQ site for the divisions after the changes from AFS. Thanks.
  6. S

WW2 NFS B division location

HI, I have posted in a thread about the Auxilary Fire Service here about my mum; I have since found photos of her time in the NFS, with B division. She died in 1977, so we have no family recollections of where she was based. I have attached photos - the long pic has a note in her hand on the...
  7. S

Auxiliary Fire Service

I have an update, my sister found some pics from our mother's time in the NFS. I have attached them here - the wide group shot has a pencilled note on the back in my mothers hand - "Lidbury . squiggle" - which could be a persons name, as I can find no online reference to Lidbury as a place...
  8. S

Does anyone remember Moseley College? Wake Green Road/Yardley Wood Road

I have a picture (not to hand regrettably) of my older sister and myself on my first day there, we both had those blue blazers with gold edging and my sister had a very fetching straw hat (not boater shaped). I was 5, she was 9, we were both there for only one year more, as it shut at the end of...
  9. S

Ok, thanks for the update. Obviously a quality teacher... I'm so glad I found this thread, it's certainly refreshed my memory of my time there. My dad was an old boy of the original school, so he was pleased when I got in, but it was a stretch academically for me..I was not a scientist or...
  10. S

I find that amazing...I and I guess most of the other pupils there would have no idea of his history. And how do you get from RAF training in India after the war, to being head of a high aiming grammar school less than 20 years later? I always thought he engendered a lot respect from the boys...
  11. S

Wow, wasn't he goalkeeper for the Blues? I didn't start there until 1960...
  12. S

Metal Treatments Birmingham Ltd Heath Mill Lane

That's the very one - I remember seeing it on the floor of the works - this was probably late 1960s/early 1970s. I thought it was copper/bronze coloured? That may have been a later incarnation, I can't remember what I saw really, in my head it was bronze colour, but that may come from what I...
  13. S

Hi Pedro! Yes, I was aware they moved, I thought they went to Bromsgrove? My dad was heavily involved in bringing in their powder coating process, I still have tools he put through their systems; he thought it was amazing, after all those years of spraying & dipping. They did all sorts of work -...
  14. S

I also seem to recall it being a mock Tudor building, but I might be very mistaken. Dark wood panelling inside, lots of windows. Big staircase.
  15. S

Thanks again for the update; I have an image of a tall grey haired individual in a black gown, but it has been over 60 years! Seem to remember he had a couple of daughters at the school. I'm not surprised as to the value - the site was prime development material - there were two blocks of flats...
  16. S

Janice, that's fantastic, thank you - at least I had the year right...never knew his name was Sylvester! That's a huge sum of money as well. I guess those were the 'economic reasons' Greenmore College was too far away for us, we lived in Sparkhill, on Showell Green Lane, so it would have been...
  17. S

My elder sister & I attended Moseley College, paid for by our grandparents. It shut, I think, in 1961, after my first year there - I don't think the two events were connected.... My sister suffered as she had to change schools for her last primary year, so did not pass her 11+. We both went to...
  18. S

Concerts at Birmingham Town Hall

I also saw the great man there, three, maybe four times. Once from the choir stalls behind the stage, maybe 1975. Also the infamous November gig, when the band & gear were held up by fog, he then did an acoustic set, with Donal playing piano I think, and someone else on drums? Next week, another...
  19. S

My dad worked there as Works Manager for 25 years or more, he left in the very late 1970s to set up his own business (in competition really). He was known as Mick Ellis, given name Thomas Michael. In my youth, maybe 10-12, he occasionally took me in on a Saturday morning, if he had work to do. I...
  20. S

My memory is now bringing snippets from the deep. Len Bowles taught us Maths, 2X & 3X, I seem to recall. Double on Wednesday afternoon. He took great delight in reading us Sherlock Holmes stories...also remember in a school concert when he did a turn on stage with massive Indian clubs. Also...
Back