• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Godber

A little row of shops

Commenting on another subject has prompted me to post this thread. Just up the road from my childhood home in the 70s was a row of ten shops on Yarningale Road. Starting at one end there was a bookies, then a tiny chemist, then what we called the bread shop (no baking onsite as I recall, it was...
  2. Godber

BBC Birmingham History from 1989

From 1989, Michael Buerk presents four interesting programmes about the history of Birmingham. Whether the place has improved in the following 34 years is a matter of opinion.
  3. Godber

8 Hylton Street, Hockley

Does anyone have any information on 8 Hylton Street, Hockley please? I worked there as a lad in the 80s for a company called DRH Jewellery Ltd and I’m interested in the age of the building, previous tenant etc. Thanks, John.
  4. Godber

The Bells of Kings Norton

A little late perhaps, but a poignant song for this time of year Apologies if it’s been posted before.
  5. Godber

Yesterday’s prices…today?

Using an online copy of an Argos catalogue from 73/74 https://issuu.com/retromash/docs/argos-no01-1973-74 coupled with the Bank of England’s Historic Inflation Calculator https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator it’s possible to roughly determine the...
  6. Godber

Birmingham boots and shoes?

Given that Birmingham was known as “The City of a Thousand Trades” did it ever produce boots and shoes? If it did, was there a “Shoe Quarter“ and does anyone have any pictures of Birmingham made boots or shoes or old advertisements, please? John.
  7. Godber

Kings Heath telephone box photo

A few years ago (before I was a member of this site) while looking online for old photographs of Kings Heath, I came across a picture of a middle aged chap making a call from the telephone box on Kings Heath High Street, right by E A Darlaston’s newsagent near the Kingsway Cinema. I think he was...
  8. Godber

A trip to the dentist

As a kid growing up through the 1970s, whenever the dreaded trip to the dentist was due I was always taken to a practice on Springfield Road in Kings Heath, opposite the big, red church. That long walk up Poplar Road felt like climbing the steps to the guillotine. While sitting in the waiting...
  9. Godber

A mysterious door…

As a lad in the 1980s I worked in the Jewellery Quarter for a small manufacturer on Hilton Street. As I was the youngest it usually fell to me to make deliveries and collections around the area, often among the dilapidated Victorian buildings that housed several small businesses within them...
Back