• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. J

Ashley Street November 1940

Thanks Colin for the information about casualties and the link. My Gt.Grandmother was at her daughter's house at the time of the bombing. Luckily the house was unoccupied because I believe it was totally destroyed. Chris,thanks for posting the photo. As you say the damage is clearly visible...
  2. J

Ashley Street November 1940

I believe my Gt.Grandmothers' house was destroyed by a bomb in WW2. Her name was Emily Brislin and she lived in Ashley Street. I wondered if anyone knew anything about this event? Julie.
  3. J

Paying to leave school!

Hi Jenny, Thanks for all the info about St.Paul's, very interesting. My Granparents must have made the "undertaking" you mentioned. The 5 shillings Len mentioned sound more likely too. Thanks for the feedback. Julie
  4. J

Paying to leave school!

Thanks for the comments. The reply about school equipment rings a bell. I know Mum had to pass the 11 plus to go to St. Pauls'. Perhaps there was some sort of contract where you had to agree to stay for an agreed length of time. Thinking back Mum might have left before she was 14, she was...
  5. J

Paying to leave school!

My mother went to school at St.Paul's Catholic School during the war. She left school at 14 to get a job but she told me her parents had to pay £5 to enable her to do this. Does anyone know why this would have been so?
Back