• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. B

Mills munitions factory bridge st west

Sir William Mills (Sunderland) Ltd (formerly Mills Munitions) stood at 192 Bridge Street West, until its demolition in the 90s. My mother worked there from 1967 to 1983. Firstly as a book keeper/wages clerk then in the latter years as General Manager. The factory and grounds were my...
  2. B

Midland Educational

I worked at the branch on Corporation Street, opposite what was Lewis's (now The Square Peg pub) from 1979 - 1980. It was my first job after leaving school and I started as a Saturday girl. I worked on the Pen & Gift department on the Ground Floor with Carole Smith & Teresa Miskella. Also on...
  3. B

Ruston St North.

My brother was born in Ruston Street (1950) and says that where he lived is now where Tesco's car park is. My dad was a lorry driver for 'Panda'.
  4. B

grosvenor road west..b18.

My family lived in Grosvenor Street West - Alfred & Mabel Holyoak with their children, Edna & Alfred. This would have been 1940s. My brother & sister were born in Ruston Street.
  5. B

Opposite Lock Club

I had my 18th birthday party there' in 'Martin's Room' (the members room) in 1980. It was a fantastic club. My friend George, was a commis chef there (remember the bistro?) and the chef was Colin (I think). Frank was a bouncer. I met Kate Bush & 10CC there too! Happy, happy days.
  6. B

Birmingham Cinemas

My Nan was an Usherette at the Odeon, Kingstanding. My Dad was a cine projectionist for many years and met my Mom when she was a cashier at the cinema where they worked. I just can't remember the name of it! I know Dad used to work at the Futurist, but it was another one. Mom lived in...
  7. B

Wm Mills Bridge Street West

That's the one Colin. 192 Bridge Street West, next to the police station. The company was bought out by a company called Offshore Marine of Gosport in the early 80s as it was producing Sir William Mills' patented lifeboat release gear. The old factory has long gone.
  8. B

co-op cashier wires.

I was just about to post a question about these. I do recall them at a Foster Brothers in Gooch Street, Highgate. They used to be fascinating to a three year old child!
  9. B

Wm Mills Bridge Street West

Mills bombs were indeed manufactured at Sir William Mills' factory in Bridge Street West as it is known today. The firm was known as William Mills (Sunderland) Ltd. My mother worked there from 1967 - 1983. Firstly as a book keeper/wages clerk and eventually became general manager until her...
Back