• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Dennis Williams

The passing of Dennis Williams

I never thought I would sending you all this message. Sadly my lovely husband passed away last week. He had been unwell at home for the two weeks. Stubborn man. Refused to go to hospital. “I am ok”. Each day “I am getting better”. Finally asked to go. He was so bad he did not have wait in...
  2. Dennis Williams

The Stores Summer Hill Terrace

Anyone any idea where this old Jewellery Quarter Pub, The Store, is/was situated...? A map woud be greatly appreciated mike? Thanks..
  3. Dennis Williams

Mystery Pub...Six Ways?

Saw this yesterday on a FB post, and no one seemed to know if it was Six Ways...Erdington ...or Aston...or even somewhere else?? Anyone got any ideas,,?
  4. Dennis Williams

The Witton Arms.

Does anyone know if this original old pub THE WITTON ARMS, morphed into this second, modern version....and it's whereabouts on a map...not my area...thanks
  5. Dennis Williams

Kingsmead Close, Kings Norton

Graham Knight (was O.C. on here many moons ago) posted this on his Old Prints site this morning....never heard of it, so gave it a good research....to no avail.....it's a bit of a mystery....The old building seems to be still extant, and occupied by a N.A.Bailey...Builders and land...
  6. Dennis Williams

Professor Steels Hairdressers 40 New Street

Another conundrim I need help with...Graham Knight posted this interesting group of old 1870 photos of a Professor Steele's Hairdressing Emporium in New Street....and it looks so grandiose and vast, I wondered where it was situated...looks a bit like an Arcade to me...could it have been down the...
  7. Dennis Williams

Mystery Pub....

Saw this posted on on Bhx's page...who thought it was The Sydenham Hotel on the corner of Pershore Street and Edgbaston Street....but I can find nothing about it....anyone got any useful info on it...?
  8. Dennis Williams

Mystery Pub The Castle Inn, Castle Bromwich...

Just come across this old photo of the Castle Inn, Old Chester Road, Castle Bromwich...and as it says...it is now a private house...anyone got any pics of it now? or better still... then...?? Cheers...
  9. Dennis Williams

The Bermingham Horn

Graham Knight (O.C) posted this fascinating piece of alleged Brum History this morning....never heard of it before...anyone shed any light on it!
  10. Dennis Williams

Query building....from Bull Ring..

OK...any idea what the marked building is in this oldie of the Bull Ring?
  11. Dennis Williams

Old building Query

This photo was posted on another website, and captioned as a building in Lichfield Street, sited BEFORE the Birmingham Law Courts were built in Corporation Street....can anybody vouch for that?
  12. Dennis Williams

Saltley Pubs please....

Anyone got these two named and shamed...? Love a map with 'em on...! Cheers..
  13. Dennis Williams

The George Inn, Saltley

Just seen this posted on his Blog by Graham Knight, who used to be on here in the early days....and I can't find any reference. or better still, pictures of the George Inn in Saltley....anyone remember it's location...or have a photo? Pretty please?
  14. Dennis Williams

Hen and Chickens Hotel New Street

Couple of photos of old New Street......puzzled me a bit...two questions... Is that road on the left where Stephenson Place is now? (No Tommy Attwood Statue).... What is the name of the Hotel? with the ornate staue carvings over the Pillars...? Cheers
  15. Dennis Williams

New Market Street

Has anyone any idea if a "market' was ever a feature of this odd little Street up Town....New Market Street...I have a few pics of then and now...anyone got any others...especially love Warren Blackham's painting of said Street...
  16. Dennis Williams

YMCA Bristol Street

Has anyone got any other pics of this lovely looking building? I can find absolutely nowt anywhere.....no pics or info, other than this, which I saw posted today on a Brum History site....the caption reads...YMCA Hostel on Bristol Street, Birmingham. The Hostel was opened in 1919 to cater for...
  17. Dennis Williams

New Street Wine Merchants conundrum..Chavasse Family....

Wow…talk about serendipity Trev… or one thing leads to another?….I saw the first pic below from Graham Knight’s blog ….fascinating reading…Thomson and Chavasse, Wine Merchant’s in New Street, with ancient underground tunnels ….reputedly remnants from the old Debtors prison, which was below the...
  18. Dennis Williams

Winter Gardens, Old Square..... a conundrum..?

OK….an old query …. ever since I became interested in the proposed Winter Gardens in Old Square, I have pondered the first picture that tweaked my buttons….it is/was captioned “Winter Gardens, Corporation Street”…… and has been shown many times since on numerous Brum Pics sites and blogs….and I...
  19. Dennis Williams

The Cross Pistols, Slaney Street

OK, this may be a forlorn request, but you lot never usually let me down…I was reading Eliezer Edwards’ ‘The Old Taverns of Birmingham’, and in his final chapter, he devotes it to a real Tavern oldie, The Cross Pistols in Slaney Street. Now I was fascinated by his description of this hostelry...
  20. Dennis Williams

Mystery building in Colmore Row

Just see this pic posted by old Graham Knight (O.C on here yonks ago), I think from Faces and Places magazine if 1889.....and looking down towards Town Hall, there is a large domed, Cathedral-like building on the right....anyone know what it was? Or am I being thick, as per.....
Back