• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. R

PRESSBURGERS TAILERS BRISTOL ST

I had my wedding suit made at Pressburgers in 1990, they were still on Bristol Street near the Horsefair then.
  2. R

Castle Street

Hi there, Castle St no longer exists as a street however if you walk along High St the road sign remains in place on the right side of Marks & Spencer's building where the street once cut through. Image attached
  3. R

Cincinnati, Kingsbury Road.

Hi Hellboy, thanks for posting these photo's, I'm sure more would be most welcome. My Father-in-Law worked there in the late 60's / early 70's and would be chuffed to see them Thanks Rob.
  4. R

3 back of 90 Little green Lane,

I was born at 3 back of 122 Little Green Lane in 1963
  5. R

Apple Tart Shop Greenway Street

Stockton's shop moved down to the Broadway in the 70's I believe, the shop there still bears the name but I don't think the family own it anymore. Meat pies from Stockton's were a treat !
  6. R

Birmingham buses

Plenty of Birmingham buses in this film clip circa 1971 https://www.macearchive.org/Archive/Title/atv-today-03111971-birmingham-bus-strike/MediaEntry/16572.html Rob
  7. R

Old street pics..

Fantastic set of photo's Berniew...many thanks for sharing. Rob.
  8. R

Alum Rock Road Shops

Photo in #219 is looking down Alum Rock Road towards Saltley taken from the junction of Bowyer Rd / Highfield Rd and Alum Rock Rd. Below is the Google Street view from 2013, the Methodist Church can be seen in the middle distance on the right hand side. Rob.
  9. R

Old street pics..

The slide in the Lawford Street photo #2339 is amazing, people would be mis-quoting helath and safety rules all over the place with a slide like that today ! Thanks for posting the pictures Berniew. Rob.
  10. R

Pubs Of The Past

With ref to the trolley bus in post #937, it looks like 4823 on the plate which I have listed down as a Roe/Railless, this was one of a batch of 12 introduced in 1922 being the first top covered double-deck trolley buses in the UK. They were withdrawn between 1930 and 1932. Hope this helps. Rob.
  11. R

Saltley & Alum Rock

#195 - This one I believe is Wilson's newsagents in College Road, the photo was definitely 1976 as Mother's Day fell on the 28th March that year, the only time since 1965. Rob.
  12. R

Old street pics..

The company in post 1861 was J Saville Gordon (Tubes & Fittings) Ltd, they were next door to GH Bloore Ltd, I worked there from 1983 to 1989 when they moved to Sherlock Street when Lawley Street was widened to a dual carriageway and the building was demolished.
  13. R

Birmingham Town Hall

I've stumbled on this photo which has the date 1913 listed, hope it's new to the forum and of interest. Rob.
  14. R

Photos Worth Looking At

Superb collection, thanks for sharing.
  15. R

The Woodman

Nothing but happy memories from The Woodman, I used to frequent the establishment in the 1980's when it was run by a lovely couple Mr & Mrs J Gilnagh (apologies if I've spelt the surname incorrectly). Spent my 21st birthday with work colleagues in the back room drinking merrily. Lovely to see...
  16. R

Midland Red Film Footage

Fantastic.....thanks horsencart !
  17. R

Mathew Boulton Primary School Handsworth

Shaw Hill School (Formerly Anthony Road School) Alum Rock......Oh happy days ! Rob.
  18. R

Old street pics..

Here's the current Google streetview image that is dated 2009, the address is approximate but I'm guessing that this is the same property at number 21
  19. R

Elmdon Airport

Fantastic collection...thanks for the info Ragga
  20. R

Keith Berry's Photos (pbase Galleries)

Many thanks Bill
Back