• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. A

Gem Street

I was just wondering if anybody had any knowledge of Gem St circa 1911? I have found a great picture which I found by accident a few years ago (I believe it's from a Graham V Twist book, possibly on Duddeston and Nechells, if Gem street fell in either of those areas? I always thought it was...
  2. A

Reference number for death certificate - lookup please

Hi - I need to order a death certificate for my grandfather. I know he was in volume 6d but not sure of page number. Can anyone look this up please? His name was Frank William Houghton, born in Birmingham in 1915 and died in 1968. Many thanks :)
  3. A

workhouse records no joy at Central Library

Hi - I went in to Central Library in Birmingham on Saturday to see if any records from Aston Union workhouse were there, but apparently there are none. However, I seem to remember somebody on an older forum saying some admissions records existed but were going to be restored. Does anyone know...
  4. A

Help! New and not sure how to obtain information

Hi I'm trying to unravel a family mystery. After my first posting about Great Lister Street I was very impressed with how one forum member managed to find various addresses for me and once again I am asking for your expertise please! My great-gran and grand-dad Thomas Houghton and Rose Ellen...
  5. A

Great Lister Street second hand shop 1940s?

Hi - I'm new to this site, so firstly, hello! Happy to join you. I wonder if anyone could help me please? My grandmother (now 94,sadly with dementia) was trying to recall the shop she and her husband once owned on Great Lister Street. I believe it was in the 40s and or 50s. Their names were...
Back