• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. W

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

There are still problems with "my content". I can see posts/replies that I had made between 2010 - 2022 then nothing between 2022 - 2024 apart from the comment I made a few days ago regarding not being able to view all posts in "my content". William
  2. W

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

There doesn't appear to be any problems for me - speed, layout etc (as far as I can tell as only just logged on). There is still 1 issue though, and that is when i click on my profile - "content" there no posts/replies showing after 2022, but I know I have posted since then. William.
  3. W

D.N.A. TESTING

Ancestry does have the largest DNA database, and if you test with them you can upload your results to other sites for free - Gedcom, My Heritage, Family Tree DNA etc. - which is what I have done. If you take a DNA test with a different company this cannot be uploaded to Ancestry. It has never...
  4. W

D.N.A. TESTING

I took a DNA test with Ancestry about 2 years ago in the hope I may be able to connect with "family" to help fill in gaps and provide information for my family research (and possibly theirs). William.
  5. W

Clifton Road Aston

I hope the moderators and other members do not mind me pointing this out but some of the comments are referring to "the other Clifton Road" - not Clifton Road, Aston, and therefore may cause confusion at a later date. William.
  6. W

Looking for my birth father Harold Reginald hart

Ancestry often reduce their DNA tests to coincide with Mothers Day and Fathers Day. William.
  7. W

Looking for my birth father Harold Reginald hart

I did an Ancestry DNA test about 2 years ago. I was advised results would take approximately 8 weeks but I received them after 6 weeks - however I understand they are taking a little longer at the moment. Ancestry DNA test results can be uploaded to other sites - unlike other DNA tests which...
  8. W

10 Sutton Street, Aston - circa 1913/1914

I would like to thank MWS and Janice for their time and their help with my query. I did not find the information I was looking for - but due to their skills in research, found the birth of a child that I was not aware of. So again, thank you both. William.
  9. W

This is the newspaper article. William.
  10. W

Oh dear, it would appear young Emma Preston/Davis was not the young woman i thought she was. I have just found a newspaper article (1894) whereby Emma Davis was arrested for being drunk and a prostitute and behaving in an indecent manner. She was living at 82 Burlington Street, which is the...
  11. W

MWS - my apologies re birth for Emily Gertrude - this is the baptism (see attached) I looked at when i said George was a jeweller. William
  12. W

Janice, If the age of 34 years old is correct (as per FMP) then the Emma Preston on the census is Mauds mother. If the age of 64 years old is correct (as per Ancestry) then Emma Preston on the census has to be Mauds grandmother). William.
  13. W

Janice, thank you I did not see the baptism for Emily Gertrude May, there is another birth with a George Davis as a Jeweller that I had found. William.
  14. W

I have attached (or hope I have) part of the 1901 census which shows age of Emma Preston as 34 years old (not 64 years old. So this must surely prove this is Mauds mother (and not grandmother). William.
  15. W

Emily Gertrudes father - George Davis was a Jeweller - whereas Mauds father George William Davis was a Tool Maker - which is stated on marriage and census registers. I will certainly follow up the information of the 2 Davis/Preston male children thank you. William.
  16. W

Maud Alberta (young Emma Prestons daughter) marries Joseph Langdell in 1914 (after giving birth to 3 children) - she uses the name Maud Alberta Davis on the marriage record. The 1911 census for Maud and Joseph Langdell actually shows them and the children under the name of Davis - living at...
  17. W

Janice yes I have that information, thank you. I also have Emmas (senior) death certificate in 1928. William.
  18. W

Yes Janice that is correct. William
  19. W

MWS Emma (Emily) and George did separate and are living with their respective family in 1891 and yes George remarries in 1898. I have only found the birth of 1 daughter - Maud Alberta who marries in 1914. 1901 census on Ancestry shows Emma Preston aged 67 occupation ?press worker - born...
  20. W

Janice thank you so much for that information. That may be very useful in as much as Alfred Clarke was the husband to Selina (Preston) - daughter of Mrs Emma Preston and sister to the younger Emma. William.
Back