• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Enel

Address plaques and nameplates for Terraces, Villas, Places etc

This one is above the entry between 41 and 39 St Silas’ Square. Rather indistinct in this screenshot, but from memory, reads ‘Maldwyn Place’. I lived nearby, and as far as I can remember, this was the only entry lintel with an incised name.
  2. Enel

Birmingham butchers retail.

Seeing butchers mentioned in another thread reminded me of Len. He used to call my mom ‘Isobel’. I think that he must have had a pet name for all of his customers! One of his sayings was “God sends the butchers and the Devil sends the cooks”
  3. Enel

Respect

Still heard occasionally, but not as common as it once was in these parts - “boy”. What really winds me up though is being called ”mate”.
  4. Enel

Webley Gunmakers - information requested

I still have my Webley ‘Jaguar’ air rifle - a birthday present from 1964. This was a junior weapon, and came with a bottle of oil, pellets, and a target holder with paper targets. It’s definitely a budget rifle, not particularly accurate but gave my brother and me hours of fun ‘plinking’ tin...
  5. Enel

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

I listened to a recent BBC programme about the psychology of a fraud, and it brought back unwelcome memories of how I was duped by an ‘authorised push payment’ fraudster a couple of years ago. At the time, this type of fraud was I think, not so widespread as now. I got away lightly, since I lost...
  6. Enel

WWII medals

I’ve just realised that Sgt Palmer’s Efficiency Medal bears the Queen’s effigy. That seems to suggest that his Territorial service was post war.
  7. Enel

WWII medals

L-R, 1939-1945 Star, Italy Star, The Defence Medal, The War Medal, and the Territorial Efficiency Medal. A similar line up to my dad’s, except that he had the Burma Star, rather than the Italy Star. I think that the one dad was most pleased to have, was his Efficiency Medal. This was awarded...
  8. Enel

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

…sends shivers down me spine…
  9. Enel

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

I think that my earliest TV memory is ‘Billy Bean and his funny machine’. For some reason this terrified me at the time, and I think that I must have hid behind the settee.
  10. Enel

Me Dads old sayings

I can remember, when asking my Dad what he was doing, the reply would be: “making wigwams for mustard mills” I never really got to the bottom of that one!
  11. Enel

Hobbies 2023/24

Crikey, it’s a bit of a step up from the 2/- kit of my day. I think that most of my pocket money drained away into Airfix’s coffers back in the early sixties. Having bought the kit, there was little left for paints, but I did my best. Christmas and birthdays enabled me to go a bit upmarket of...
  12. Enel

Houses on Green Lane

I think that Brearley House was Dr Lloyd’s home/practice back in the 50s and 60s. He was our family doctor up to around the time we left the area when I was about 9 or so. A kindly man who was a good friend to our family.
  13. Enel

Hot drinks

Arrgh- my dad drank this particular beverage many moons ago. I was persuaded to try it (I always liked the smell of coffee), and I think that it was responsible for putting me off coffee for many years. I now have one of those new fangled pod machines, and despite being mainly a drinker of tea...
  14. Enel

THE WINTERS OF 47 AND 63

I’ve just watched this. Fascinating. I was twelve at the time, and in my first year at secondary school. I well remember the slippery walk downhill to school, and the complete inadequacy of winter clothing in those times. otherwise, my memory is a bit hazy really. I don’t think that we had a tv...
  15. Enel

Cradley Heath Railway Station

Crikey this takes me back. In 1981, I moved to Cradley, and rather than drive to work In Birmingham city centre, I decided to travel in by train. A 15 minute walk got me to Cradley Heath station, and I probably did the journey into Brum for around four years or thereabouts. The old station...
  16. Enel

Harry lucas school

That sounds about right. I can remember the term ‘Grammar school stream’ being used, but being an eleven plus failure - I can’t say that it made me feel any better. I can remember an interview with someone from the Youth Employment Service (this was probably at age 15), and I like many others...
  17. Enel

Harry lucas school

Crikey Peg, your memory for all things HLS is astonishing. I can only recall snippets from my five years worth spent there. I’ve just come across a couple of prize books. One was for form G2, and the other was 2 Alpha. I‘ve forgotten the form naming/numbering scheme. Can you remember?
  18. Enel

Fish & Meat paste from the 50s and 60s

Ah yes - ‘Brands’, a Sunday teatime staple. I always preferred crab paste, but it was sometimes suspiciously gritty in texture.
  19. Enel

Birmingham Christmas of the past

Not so very far from my grandparents then. No. 122.
  20. Enel

Corporation Street

Fascinating. The aircraft fuselage is that of a De Havilland Mosquito. These were largely constructed of wood, and the airframe manufacture was carried out in various locations, often by furniture makers.
Back