• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Frederick Charles Mason any connection?

When my old mom spoke about Violet being a school friend of her sister Joan all those years ago, and that Violet had been around to their home, I was too young to appreciate who Violet actually was. I just remember my mom telling us that she went on to become a famous star... at the time I was...
  2. G

Anne Heywood (Violet Pretty) Book Project

Hi Christopher, a member of the forum has just pointed me in your direction. I'm not sure I can be of any real help to you, but you might be interested to know that my mom and her sister, Joan, knew Violet from Fentham School in Erdington. My mom passed a couple of years ago, and her brothers...
  3. G

Ok folks, thanks for all your help so far, my sister and I really appreciate it, we've already learned so much about our family. Now we have something that may interest you. Our mom and her sister Joan went to school with Violet Pretty. She was actually our aunty Joan's school friend, but I...
  4. G

Hi Janice, what we have learned is that there are many, many errors, particularly in any records that have been transcribed. I guess our mom's married name would also have been added when she became a 'Hands' after she married our dad, but mom is not shown on the image.
  5. G

Oh, right, that makes sense, Thanks.
  6. G

Oh OK, just seems odd then that only Joan's married name was added. Thanks Janice.
  7. G

Hi Janice, the image you posted shows everyone except our mom who would have been subject number 5. But a rather curious thing is, someone has written 'CHAPLIN' next to Joan's name. Chaplin is her much later married name, but it seems very odd that someone has had access to the actual document...
  8. G

1950s Birmingham sanatorium/hospital help please

Wow, that is clearer, thanks John.
  9. G

Great stuff, many thanks MWS.
  10. G

Janice, purely for the record. From my old dad's defective A-Z
  11. G

That would be great if you don't mind. This is all just fantastic. We had nothing but 'Holey Road' and Frederick Charles Mason before I joined the forum today and now look at what we have. You folks are amazing!
  12. G

Janice, this is absolutely wonderful. Easy to see how Ilsley Road became Holey Road when transcribed. You people are stars!
  13. G

Thanks for the confirmation Janice. :)
  14. G

My dad's old A-Z is defective then... wonder if I can get my 4 shilling back?
  15. G

Yep, we have also got Beatrice married to her first husband, a jeweller called Edward Brightley in 1916. He was my aunty Bon's dad. My aunty bon was Muriel Brightley. There was quite a few years between our mom, Margaret and her elder sister Muriel... 14 years I think?
  16. G

Interesting, I have an old A-Z of my dad's, not dated, but cost 4 shillings and in this it has two 'l's
  17. G

Sorry, that's my mistake. He actually married Beatrice in 1930, not Joyce, he married Joyce in 1953. It's just me getting a little confused.
  18. G

Just checking, that should be Illsley Road with two 'l's right? And it's right off South Road, Erdington.
  19. G

1950s Birmingham sanatorium/hospital help please

Actually, no. I was thinking of this photograph.
Back